CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Training
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 06:48 PM

Default Concealed Weapon permit questions

I live in Amador county. I need to know do you need a Handgun Safety Certificate to purchase a handgun? I also need to know where to take a handgun safety class in my area please.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:54 PM

If you do not have a CCW license, then you do need a safety certificate. I believe someone will be along shortly regarding your other question.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather View Post
If you do not have a CCW license, then you do need a safety certificate. I believe someone will be along shortly regarding your other question.
Now that brings up something I had not thought of before. I went to my prefered gun dealer Berry Creek Guns in Oroville a while back, and bought a new handgun, but before I did, I renewed my hangun safety certificate even though I had my ccw. So if it is true that I don't even need it now, that was a waste of $25 or whatever it was! Oh well, now I have it for the next 5 years anyway. I just didn't even think about my ccw possibly making it unnecesarry.
Taurus PT 145
Old 02-14-2010, 07:11 PM
No Special Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitedeb View Post
I live in Amador county. I need to know do you need a Handgun Safety Certificate to purchase a handgun? I also need to know where to take a handgun safety class in my area please.
if you do not have a CA CCW, you must have a HSC in order to purcahse a handgun in California and you must be 21 or order and LEGAL to own a handgun.

Any store that sells handguns can give you the HSC test.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:12 PM

welcome aboard

Disclosure is Bliss
Old 02-14-2010, 07:13 PM
No Special Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckoholic View Post
Now that brings up something I had not thought of before. I went to my prefered gun dealer Berry Creek Guns in Oroville a while back, and bought a new handgun, but before I did, I renewed my hangun safety certificate even though I had my ccw. So if it is true that I don't even need it now, that was a waste of $25 or whatever it was! Oh well, now I have it for the next 5 years anyway. I just didn't even think about my ccw possibly making it unnecesarry.
You can use your CA CCW or HSC....FOR ME when I buy a firearm, if i cant use "i know a guy", then I always use my HSC, i dont want them knowing i have a CCW.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:51 PM
SB Member

8 some years ago before i had my CCW, i was able to take the test booklet home look it over and return to the gun store ten days later. i then took the test, passed and walk out with my .45. i did not attend a class.

things may have changed since then but at the time i could not believe how dumbed down and easy that test was/is.

Carried Map
Old 02-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Same here, just read it, take test in no time at gun shop. $25 It's pretty easy/common sense. Here is the pdf from DOJ for the study guide.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf
and FAQ's Frequently Asked Questions - Handgun Safety Certificate Program - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
Old 02-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Untitled Peasantry, Blissful Anonymity

That's right, no class, just study the booklet, take the multiple choice test, and show how to safe a weapon with a cable lock and you are done. Last time I bought a handgun, the shop renewed my HSC for no fee.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Yeah, the test is pretty easy. If you know ANYTHING about guns you should be able to pass the test, no problem. My wife just took the test last weekend and passed it and about the only thing she knows about guns is which end the bullets come out of (which is a good thing to know, I guess). The test is REALLY dumbed down and mostly common sense. A lot of trainers who do the basic handgun class will offer the test as part of the class (just have to pay the $25 fee).

Keith

Oh...and welcome yosemitedeb!!

When I carry a gun, I donít do so because I am looking for a fight, but because Iím looking to be left alone...Marko Kloos

NRA Distinguished Life Member
Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2005 View Post
things may have changed since then but at the time i could not believe how dumbed down and easy that test was/is.
I recently bought my first handgun and had to get the HSC. Biggest waste of time EVER. The questions on there were so ridiculous... I can't believe I wasted the time reviewing the study guide. One of the dumbest questions I saw on there went something like this: True or False: It is legal to shoot your gun up in the air during celebration..... LOL
Old 02-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Founding Member

If you bust that test you should not be near a gun! CCW holders are exempted from the revenue making HSC card.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:25 AM

Default Thank You!!!

Thank you for your help! If anyone knows where I can take the class for the CCW I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Check the Buy and Sell Press for the name of an instructor, who has an ad in there almost every week. I don't recall his name, but my girlfriend took his class and she now has her County Sheriff-issued CCW.

Good luck in your quest.

RDF

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." -- Mao Tse-Tung

"What, me worry?" -- Alfred E. Neuman
Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:

The dealer at your local gun shop, gives you the test. I past 100% my first time. It's really common since questions. Most likely if you practice safe gun handling, you should pass no problem. You must score at least 75% (23 correct answers out of 30 questions) on the Handgun Safety Certificate Test covering handgun safety and basic firearms laws. The true/false and multiple choice test is given by Department of Justice Certified Instructors who are generally located at firearms dealerships. Before receiving a concealable firearm from a dealer, you also must preform a proper unload of the gun. A HSC allows you to buy a firearm capable of being concealed for 5 years. The fee for taking the Handgun Safety Certificate Test and obtaining a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) is twenty five dollars ($25). The $25 fee entitles you to take the test twice if necessary. Now, get out there and give the HSC test a try. I think you'll find the questions have common since answers. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by SonomaHunter : 02-16-2010 at 01:57 AM.