CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Range Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Range Reports A place to discuss trips to the range.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 PM

Default Public Shooting Ranges (Tuolumne, Calaveras, Stanislaus)?

I've given up on these local Gun Clubs!

You would think in this day
and age of Anti-Gun sentiments....... That these clubs would want to have a large membership not only in making a "Statement"...... But of
Increased revenue!

I don't know what these hillbillies think up here!

Funny....... I moved from anti-gun Orange County where there was a public
Range on each street corner!

C'mon....... And Public Ranges in any of these Counties I stated above???
Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtonyprimo View Post

and age of Anti-Gun sentiments....... That these clubs would want to have a large membership not only in making a "Statement"...... But of
Increased revenue!

Where To Shoot | Find Shooting Ranges Near You lists all the ranges, public and private by state.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM

just be sure you call the place to see if it exists. They dont do much to keep the list accurate. The place they list in Salinas, CA has not existed in all the time i've lived here going back to '86
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 PM

Thanks guys......... And you're right...... A number don't exist anymore!
The closet to my residence is over an hour away!

Really irritates me about these local gun clubs.......... Would Love to hear why they have basically closed these clubs to new members?

I have a couple of acquaintances that are members of the Mother Load Gun Club in Jamestown......... And NO BULL****......... These 3 separate dudes told me ANYTIME they have gone over there to shoot........ Morning or afternoon or weekday or weekend......... there are HARDLY anyone there shooting!!!!

I feel like opening my own Private Range! Land is dirt cheap up here......
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM

If you can get an approval from county supervisors, do it! It seems like decent way to make money. The liability insurance will be ugly. But still worth a go
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Aren't we all special??

[quote=drtonyprimo;286752]Thanks guys......... And you're right...... A number don't exist anymore!
The closet to my residence is over an hour away!

Really irritates me about these local gun clubs.......... Would Love to hear why they have basically closed these clubs to new members?

I have a couple of acquaintances that are members of the Mother Load Gun Club in Jamestown......... And NO BULL****......... These 3 separate dudes told me ANYTIME they have gone over there to shoot........ Morning or afternoon or weekday or weekend......... there are HARDLY anyone there shooting!!!!

I feel like opening my own Private Range! Land is dirt cheap up here.[...../QUOTE]

Your idea has been tried here in Calaveras County, most recently near Valley Springs, but failed to get approval from the BOS. Why you ask? Residents who lived in the surrounding area of the proposed gun range complained about the potential noise and increase of traffic the range would bring. Noise and traffic they had hoped to be free from by moving to a rural area. Despite the large amount support for the range, the current property owners won out when the development went to public hearing, killing any hope of the range's construction. Opening up a private range isn't as easy as one might think.

"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be
refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance
of public officials should be controlled." -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM

I know

Manteca Sportsman Inc.

Address: 30261 S Airport Way, Manteca, CA 95337
Phone209) 823-7919
Hours:Friday hours 8:00 am–7:00 pm

pistol, rifle (100 yards), shot gun

It is outdoors and the last time I was there IIRC it was $15 for all day.

I have a membership at Oakdale Sportsman Club but last I checked they weren't taking anymore applications. capped at 700 or 750 members and 100 on the waiting list.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtonyprimo View Post

Increased revenue!

I know this is an old thread, but being new here, I thought I'd poke around and see what's been posted recently when I came across this. I went down this road a little ways awhile ago.

We owned property in Calaveras County for a number of years and I tossed around the idea of a public range more than once. My professional background is in business management so I looked at this PURELY from a dollars and cents perspective and began systematic process of what it would take to open and maintain a successful public shooting range in Calaveras County. I think my findings hold for Tuolumne county, but not Stanislaus.

I abandoned the idea after I completed my initial market analysis.

My market research included demographics, population density, average income, race, and to some extent, political affiliation. I also talked with nearly every store owner in Calaveras county that sold weapons and/or ammunition. What I found wasn't encouraging with respect to moving forward.

First, Calaveras and Tuolumne counties are among the smallest in the state with respect to population. The City of Modesto alone has more people than either Tuolumne or Calaveras county - COMBINED. Between the two, there are about 100,000 people. Various studies have shown that only about 35% of people in our country own guns. Between these two counties, that leaves about 35,000 people who own firearms. Other studies by the NRA, various state rifle associations, and other gun groups indicate that only about 10% of gun owners actually shoot their firearms on a regular basis. That includes hunters, shooting-sportsmen and women, and consistent target shooters. The studies I read did NOT include military or law enforcement data. That leaves us with roughly 3,500 people who actively shoot their firearms recreationally.

I could go on with my analysis, which I drilled into fairly deeply, but I think you see where this is going. Even if you use an inflated 20% of the population and factor in things like political affiliation, discretionary income, and age, you're still left with a pretty small percentage of folks who shoot regularly. The profitability of the business would depend on that population.

What completely killed the idea had nothing to demography, rather it was geography. Because both counties back up to a national forest where people enjoy fairly unrestricted (and FREE) shooting access, the idea of paying a fee to shoot paper or steel targets on a range with a safety officer and other people around just didn't set well with those I talked to. Most who live in either of these counties are willing to drive 10 to 30 minutes into the forest where they can shoot by themselves, unencumbered by rules and distance limitations. I know of places in both counties where I can spend all day shooting out to about 400 yards and not see another person the whole time I'm there.

Anyway, I think a few people have considered the idea, but for a number of reasons, it just isn't feasible as a money making venture. It would be nice if we could run a range purely as a public service without regard to profitability, but until I hit the lottery, conventional profit models will win out.

Peace.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 AM

i'd like to see a range where they let you run drills and stuff, not just statically sitting/standing at a table and cutting paper. it's a pain to have to drive out to BLM land to do so.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:43 AM

I'm lucky that the outdoor range I belong to allows you to draw from a holster to shoot and to set up multiple targets. You also get your own lane (walls between each one) so that you can change your distance at will. That's a lot more than most ranges allow around here.