CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > New Members
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Members Take a minute to introduce yourselves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 06:57 AM

Thumbs up Fresno County CCW

I am told Sheriff Margret Mims is a Citizen supporting Sheriff for Fresno County, California and supports the need for citizens to carry for protection. I am currently looking forward to working with her detectives in completing my paperwork and investigations for a CCW for California. I am told to hold off on any training until you see them for your first appointment. What do you in this forum recommend? If you have any recommendations on filling out the paperwork, I need all the help I can get. I am a medically retired disabled veteran, who is worried to death that I may one day be a victim of criminal acts, and who is unable to run, and uses a cane to get around. Would you please help by give good examples in order to fill out the paperwork correctly? What are the Sheriff departments really looking for in order to approve you a CCW? I appreciate any help you all can provide.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Senior Founding Member

Welcome to CalCCW, Clovis.

I'm in Madera County and each department has a little different process. We have a lot of members from Fresno County so I'll let one of them address your specific questions, but I've heard it stated that "personal self defense" is accepted as good cause in Fresno County.

Thank you for your service to our country.

Society Of The Honor Guard, Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier, Founding Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
CRPA Member
Self Defense Firearms Training - Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained!
Most of us here know "A Guy" Do you?

Posted by 3boyzmom
Quote:
On this forum, we attempt to foster a respect for the law and stay far away from "bending" the law. We also don't need anyone to be a test case. And while concealed does mean concealed, the way we conduct ourselves as CCW holders reflects on all of us. Don't carry somewhere just because you can get away with it. Carry there because it's legal and you're welcome there.
Visit CalCCW on Facebook
Old 06-12-2010, 07:28 AM

Hi Clovis I just started the process in Fresno also. My appointment isn't until October, the first question I was asked on the phone was what my good cause was. They told me that as long as my backround check comes back clean I will have no problem. He also told me not to call for an appointment until I received the application and had completely filled it out. That took about a week to receive, filled it out in about 5 min. I'm clean so everything was a no. In the mean time he said to learn to shoot. The instructor at The Range recommended that I get the CCW class out of the way. I was interested in private instruction, but he insisted that this may be all I need. The next class is Monday afternoon. The Fresno SO have been very helpful with any question I have had. Good luck!!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
Hi Clovis I just started the process in Fresno also. My appointment isn't until October, the first question I was asked on the phone was what my good cause was. They told me that as long as my backround check comes back clean I will have no problem. He also told me not to call for an appointment until I received the application and had completely filled it out. That took about a week to receive, filled it out in about 5 min. I'm clean so everything was a no. In the mean time he said to learn to shoot. The instructor at The Range recommended that I get the CCW class out of the way. I was interested in private instruction, but he insisted that this may be all I need. The next class is Monday afternoon. The Fresno SO have been very helpful with any question I have had. Good luck!!
And there you have it! Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find. Thanks for chiming in there, pinklady.

And a hearty welcome to Clovis!!

Sheriff Mimms is and awesome Sheriff. You should not have any trouble getting approved in Fresno Co. She is responsive to the needs of the people and knows how responsible gun owners are and defends your 2A rights.

Lastly, I am also a disabled veteran of the USMC and want to thank you for your service and sacrifice for your country.

Keith

When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone...Marko Kloos

NRA Distinguished Life Member
Old 06-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Welcome aboard Clovis it is good to have you with us.

I got my permit almost 3 years ago and when I did I took my class while I was waiting for my first interview so I had the certificate in hand for the interview.
There will be two sheriff's department interviews, The first is so they can see you face to face to determine if you are "normal" and to go over your paperwork. After approval there will be a second interview where they finalize your papers, you take a written test (quite easy) then off to fingerprinting you go. About 2 weeks later the permit will arrive in the mail.

I would also like to thank you for your service to our great country. Thanks.

Good luck.
American Legion
VFW

$

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEBUNT
Old 06-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Welcome Clovis!! As all have said, you should be good to go. I believe most people email their good cause to CCWInstuctor greg@firearmstraining.com to critique it for you. He’s the best. You might want to search "Fresno" on this forum, there are lots of folks from this county who have posted very good info.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Founding Member

Welcome Clovis and best of luck.

spc
"The difference between someone on the left and us, is we instinctively understand this through common sense, education and intelligence -- while liberals have trust issues, control issues and view the world from fantasy land."

Old 06-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Senior Member, Eugene the Jeep

Welcome Clovis, Good Luck.

Society is safer when criminals don't know who's armed.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:52 PM

howdy

Disclosure is Bliss
Old 06-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Founding Member

Sheriff Mims is pretty close to "Shall Issue" but at you should have a Good Cause that isn't work-related and is something more than "Personal Protection" unless the Sheriff's Office tells you otherwise. As a precaution, you should email your Good Cause to greg@firearmstraining.com just to be sure you don't have some kind of boneheaded good cause that will get your CCW app rejected.
GLOCK 23
Springfield 1911A-1
Browning Buckmark
AFPG M1 Garand
J.C. Higgins Model 30

Sacramento Sub-Forum Moderator
Old 06-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Welcome Clovis, good attitude!

John D'Agostini: "I will adopt a fair “shall issue” CCW license policy; whereby any county resident passing our state’s strict criminal background check, has not been adjudicated mentally ill, is of good moral character and demonstrates competence with their firearm through state required training shall not be denied."
Old 06-13-2010, 12:14 AM

Default CCW Fresno County, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Geek View Post
Welcome to CalCCW, Clovis.

I'm in Madera County and each department has a little different process. We have a lot of members from Fresno County so I'll let one of them address your specific questions, but I've heard it stated that "personal self defense" is accepted as good cause in Fresno County.

Thank you for your service to our country.
Thanks Chuck, your comments are very much appreciated and looking forward to completing my CCW.
Operation Just Cause Era Veteran
Desert Shield/Storm Era Veteran
Disability Retired Veteran
American Legion Member
Disabled American Veterans Member
Fresno Rifle and Pistol Club Member
NRA Supporting Member
Junior Member CalCCW

Learn the Constitution and support those who need help achieving those Constitutional rights that our forefathers handed down to us, the people of the United States.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:17 AM

Talking CCW Fresno County, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
Thanks Pinklady,

I was reading your posts and want to say thanks. You post have helped!
American Legion Member
NRA Supporting Member
Junior Member CalCCW

Learn the Constitution and support those who need help achieving those Constitutional rights that our forefathers handed down to us, the people of the United States.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:20 AM

Default CCW Fresno County, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith92555 View Post
And there you have it! Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find. Thanks for chiming in there, pinklady.

And a hearty welcome to Clovis!!

Sheriff Mimms is and awesome Sheriff. You should not have any trouble getting approved in Fresno Co. She is responsive to the needs of the people and knows how responsible gun owners are and defends your 2A rights.

Lastly, I am also a disabled veteran of the USMC and want to thank you for your service and sacrifice for your country.

Keith
Keith Semper Fi! Thanks for your service as well, the Air Force and Marines always work well together. Thanks for your comments.
American Legion Member
NRA Supporting Member
Junior Member CalCCW

Old 06-13-2010, 12:23 AM

Talking CCW Fresno County, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Welcome aboard Clovis it is good to have you with us.

I got my permit almost 3 years ago and when I did I took my class while I was waiting for my first interview so I had the certificate in hand for the interview.
There will be two sheriff's department interviews, The first is so they can see you face to face to determine if you are "normal" and to go over your paperwork. After approval there will be a second interview where they finalize your papers, you take a written test (quite easy) then off to fingerprinting you go. About 2 weeks later the permit will arrive in the mail.

I would also like to thank you for your service to our great country. Thanks.

Good luck.
EM2 thanks a lot, thanks for your service as well. I really appreciate your comments.
American Legion Member
NRA Supporting Member
Junior Member CalCCW