CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Legal
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Discuss legal issues of California CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM

Post Magazine Capacity in California

Is the magazine capacity limit for an auto loading handgun consistent throughout the state of California or does the limit vary from county to county? I have tried to search "California Gun Laws" to no avail. Any help / citation would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Founding Member

The State law pre-empts on the mag. capacity. Maximum of 10, unless you possessed the mags prior to the law taking effect (mid-90's I think).

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long (Robert A . Heinlein)

Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Founding Member

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

Commencing January 1, 2000, prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, or transfer of
any large capacity magazine unless to specifically designated parties and under specified
conditions. A violation of this provision is a misdemeanor or a felony. A large capacity
magazine is defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than
ten rounds
but shall not include any .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. Firearms
dealers may sell large capacity magazines only to parties who are exempt under PC section
12020 from the large capacity magazine restriction.

Last edited by Glock32 : 01-22-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock32 View Post
12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
That law seems pretty useless. If you carry multiple magazines it adds up to the same thing - lots of ammo at your disposal with a quick and easy reload. And I always have spare mags on me like most CCw'ers. But our not-so-bright politicians think they know everything...
and notice more than you realize.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American
Indian." ~ Henry Ford

Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock32 View Post

Commencing January 1, 2000, prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, or transfer of
any large capacity magazine unless to specifically designated parties and under specified
conditions. A violation of this provision is a misdemeanor or a felony. A large capacity
magazine is defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than
ten rounds
but shall not include any .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. Firearms
dealers may sell large capacity magazines only to parties who are exempt under PC section
12020 from the large capacity magazine restriction.
Refering back to tango-52's statement.

If you possessed such mags prior to January 1, 2000, they are legal ?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Senior Founding Member

If you look at the statute, it has no prohibition against possession for your own use. Only if you try to lend or sell it do you have a problem. For example, I have a ParaOrdnance P12-45 that I got pre-2000, along with a bunch of magazines. They are all legal for me to own and use, even if it were my carry weapon.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Lazarus Long (Robert A . Heinlein)

Old 01-22-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango-52 View Post
If you look at the statute, it has no prohibition against possession for your own use. Only if you try to lend or sell it do you have a problem. For example, I have a ParaOrdnance P12-45 that I got pre-2000, along with a bunch of magazines. They are all legal for me to own and use, even if it were my carry weapon.
Excellent choice.

I too have a ParaOrdnance P14-45, purchased prior to 2000.

Also purchased numerous mags when I saw the change coming

Old 01-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Founding Member

It is a must to stock up on full capacity magazines when the authorities put down such an ultimatum. What is the first thing someone does when told they can not have or do something???? They go out and acquire or do what is to be prohibited.

I know I did. The Government is what got me started with handguns in the early '90s when they proposed elimination of full capacity magazines, and the same is true with my evil black rifles late in the '90s

spc
"The difference between someone on the left and us, is we instinctively understand this through common sense, education and intelligence -- while liberals have trust issues, control issues and view the world from fantasy land."

Old 01-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Refering back to tango-52's statement.

If you possessed such mags prior to January 1, 2000, they are legal ?
Correct.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 PM

My father bought me a handgun for Christmas several years ago. He is an FFDO and thus had access to the option of 12 rd magazines, which he got. The gun is being transferred into my name. I have an appointment for my application in a little while. So, even though these are NOT pre-ban mags, is it legal for me to carry these while CCWing?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigfreed&freud View Post
My father bought me a handgun for Christmas several years ago. He is an FFDO and thus had access to the option of 12 rd magazines, which he got. The gun is being transferred into my name. I have an appointment for my application in a little while. So, even though these are NOT pre-ban mags, is it legal for me to carry these while CCWing?

NO, it is not legal, you must have had them in your possession before the ban took effect.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Senior Founding Member & Social Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigfreed&freud View Post
Your dad must keep the mags. He can loan them to you as long as he stas with the mags. The LEM he bought also came out after 2000.

Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! Copyrighted 1996

Amateurs Talk Hardware (Guns)

Professionals Talk Software (Training)

greg@firearmstraining.com

Oh Yeah! "Piss On Golf! Waste of a good range." Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman (Ret.) 1998
Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 AM
OC Junior Member

As long as I am in the locality and teaching or shooting with someone I am not "loaning them" correct? Since I am planning to teach several "liberal folks" the joys of shooting I want to make sure I don't end up in matching bracelets for the effort up at Burro Canyon. Since the locals LEO's are almost always in cruz mode...
Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 PM

How do I prove I've had my Glock 23 since 1990 along with the 13 round mags? It's list on my CCW permit and I want to make sure I'm legal to carry the 13 round mags at all times.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk Bronson View Post
How do I prove I've had my Glock 23 since 1990 along with the 13 round mags? It's list on my CCW permit and I want to make sure I'm legal to carry the 13 round mags at all times.
You don't have to prove when you bought them. The DA has to prove you bought them after 2000.