CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Legal
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Legal Discuss legal issues of California CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 AM

Default How do I prove ownership?

This is NOT an urgent question... maybe one of you knows the answer and will take the time to point me in the right direction...

I have a Browning Hi-Power. Belgium Made, mint condition, perfect in every way. I've had the gun for 15... maybe even 20 years. I bought it at a local gun show.

I cannot remember doing ANY paperwork at the time of purchase, certainly nothing like the "change or ownership" hoops we jump through now. About all I have to show is a handwritten receipt (somewhere) from some long ago gun seller.

Now, I do not plan to carry this gun... so it's not really important for my CCW application... but let's say I did. How would I find out if "the system" shows me as the legal owner of this gun? And if not, how do I become the legal owner in the system.

Again, not an urgent matter... but one of you may know the answer...
Old 07-18-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr96 View Post
This is NOT an urgent question... maybe one of you knows the answer and will take the time to point me in the right direction...

I have a Browning Hi-Power. Belgium Made, mint condition, perfect in every way. I've had the gun for 15... maybe even 20 years. I bought it at a local gun show.

I cannot remember doing ANY paperwork at the time of purchase, certainly nothing like the "change or ownership" hoops we jump through now. About all I have to show is a handwritten receipt (somewhere) from some long ago gun seller.

Now, I do not plan to carry this gun... so it's not really important for my CCW application... but let's say I did. How would I find out if "the system" shows me as the legal owner of this gun? And if not, how do I become the legal owner in the system.

Again, not an urgent matter... but one of you may know the answer...
You can fill out one of the forms on the CA Attorney General's website requesting a list of all weapons registered in your name (Firearm Ownership Record) . If it isn't in your name and you want to have it registered in your name, then you can fill out the form to have it registered in your name (Operation of Law or Intrafamilial Handgun Transaction Report).

Forms: Forms and Publications - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

"It's 2am, do you know where your firearms are?" - In honor of Dennis Farina

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~Ronald Reagan

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

My guns have killed less people than Sen. Kennedy's car.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 AM

Also, here's a good reason for getting it registered in your name regardless if you want it on your CCW permit. If you are found transporting the weapon illegally (loaded or not locked) and the gun is not in your name, then you will be charged with a felony. If the gun is in your name, then it would only be a misdemeanor.

Note: I'm not saying you are doing this. Just stating that this is good reason to have them in your name. You never know when you might forget to put that lock on the gun or miss putting the lock through both zippers when going to the range.

"It's 2am, do you know where your firearms are?" - In honor of Dennis Farina

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~Ronald Reagan

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

My guns have killed less people than Sen. Kennedy's car.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Founding Member

Spicy........YOU DA MAN!!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM

Default I agree, your are the man!

Spicy.
Thanks for the info. I have to agree with "X" - You are the man!
Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 PM

Cool We Learn To Look Ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr96 View Post
Spicy.
Thanks for the info. I have to agree with "X" - You are the man!
I agree! As pilots we all learn to "look ahead." The firearms on my permit are the same ones I had on my California permit(s) through the late 70's, 80's and into 1991! It was only when I applied recently with the OCSD that I learned from our "Master," (CCWInstructor), that all weapons must be in our names. I discovered that dealer sales did not necessarily make "registration" way back when!!!It took less than two (2) weeks from the time I downloaded the form from the DOJ website, until I had confirmation back in the mail! It did not matter that I received them from my brother and/or dealer many years ago, as I think they are just interested in making sure that they are yours, and that the "Operations of Law" are followed correctly.

Travel and carry safely. Oh...don't forget to keep up with your "skills and training," (especially with the "Master!")!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM

If I rightfully own a gun that's somehow not registered in my name, what would be the practical purpose of making a record of the gun with the state?

EDIT:
Nevermind. I just read the whole thread.

Last edited by jakemccoy : 07-18-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Senior Founding Member

Well, if you are intending to carry it (CCW), it needs to be registered to you (with the exception of a few counties).
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776
Quote:
"You've been angry too long.... Join me in my zen place...". RomanDad, circa 2008
Quote:
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne
Old 07-18-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
You never know when you might forget to put that lock on the gun or miss putting the lock through both zippers when going to the range.
Does your mention of "zippers" imply a soft case? Can I use a soft case and lock the zipper for car carry?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemccoy View Post
Does your mention of "zippers" imply a soft case? Can I use a soft case and lock the zipper for car carry?
Yes. Soft case commonly known as a gun rug is ok. As long at the gun is unloaded, ammo outside of gun rug and you lock the zipper with a luggage lock.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVox View Post
Yes. Soft case commonly known as a gun rug is ok. As long at the gun is unloaded, ammo outside of gun rug and you lock the zipper with a luggage lock.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:52 PM

Does anybody know if this Uncle Mike's pistol rug fits a Glock 27?...

TheGunSource: UNC 5220-1 SM PISTOL RUG BLK

It's the small size. I'd rather not get the medium if the small fits.

Last edited by jakemccoy : 07-19-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:06 PM

I found out the size small fits.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 AM

Default How do I prove ownership?

Hi, rickr96
Wow, what a dilemma. You've got a catch22. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. I hope you are a lucky person. And the handgun comes back clean: "the back round on the firearm." If the firearm was ever reported stolen or lost. Be prepared to turn it in, even if "you" obtained it legally at the time. Hopefully it has a clean history. It has been awhile and I don't know if you can still do a voluntary registration with the state, that would get it in the system under your name. You don't want to be in a "situation" with an unregistered handgun, that would be bad even if you're the good guy. Good luck and be safe.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSUB View Post
And the handgun comes back clean: "the back round on the firearm." If the firearm was ever reported stolen or lost. Be prepared to turn it in, even if "you" obtained it legally at the time. Hopefully it has a clean history.
Good point! Pistols acquired back in the good ole days will have to be handled with more delicate hands than usual.