CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Holsters/Carry Methods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 PM

Default Overweight people?

What do overweight people do for concealed carry? I'm working on burning off the love handles, but it isn't going to be overnight. I considered a small-of-the-back holster, but was told by a friend that it was a bad idea because it is awkward to reach back, etc. Plus, they aren't comfortable when you sit. So... where does that leave me? I'd like to go away from IWB.

Oh... I'm looking for the holster for a CZ 75.

Any help is welcome.

Last edited by Kappy : 06-09-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
What do overweight people do for concealed carry? I'm working on burning off the love handles, but it isn't going to be overnight. I considered a small-of-the-back holster, but was told by a friend that it was a bad idea because it is awkward to reach back, etc. Plus, they aren't comfortable when you sit. So... where does that leave me? I'd like to go away from IWB.

Any help is welcome.
Hmmm... for the CZ, you'd have to go for a large fanny pack or OWB holster. If you have something smaller, you could belt on some kind of camera case pouch and put your gun in that. I could fit my .38 in a camera case easy. There are also these day planner holsters you could look at.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:

Any help is welcome.
This weekend I am going to let you try my Mernickle holster on (assuming you get your gun that soon). Although it is a lefty holster you will get the bigger picture.

P.S. who won tonights shoot?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Hey Kappy,

I'm a big guy with a 54" waist. I've tried IWB and found it to be very uncomfortable with my PT145. OWB works better for me. Good luck with your holster search. Again, congrats on the new CCW.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 AM

I'm 325. It's kind of funny because some people tend to think us overweight people should be able to conceal a gun easier. Sure it might hide in our fat folds or whatever, but boy does it hurt sometimes.

I have always prefered owb when I was carrying only in states like Oregon and Nevada where open carry is legal, so I didn't have to worry so much about someone spotting my gun. So when I got my California permit I decided I might be safer with IWB since it is more concealed that way and my shirt can ride up as high as the top of my pants and no one can see anything. However, I have the same problem with those dang love handles hanging over the back of the gun and being very uncomfortable when I go IWB. I like to carry my gun at 3 o'clock. But it just hurts too dang much carrying it there IWB. OWB is fine at that position. But IWB the gun is jabbing into my side, and to make matters worse, my body shape is such that I have to wear my belt very tight in order to keep my pants up. So that doesn't work so great for IWB either. However, after much testing of holster positions, I discovered that IWB at 4:30-5 o'clock is actually very comfortable. Even more comfortable than OWB at 3 o'clock. And it is at a position that it is perfectly easy to draw, I can walk, sit, ride my dirt bike, and whatever and I can barely even feel it back there. It's very nice. And the absolute best IWB holster I have found so far is the KHolster. Because it has that awesome big leather piece that goes between you and the gun, it keeps the sharp edges of the gun from digging into your sides.

So yeah, IWB at 4:30-5 and my ankle holster have been my fat friendly ways to carry.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
OC Member

Galco Holsters Underwraps Belly Band
They fit on your mid rib cage area, very comfortable and ez to draw from once you practice.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubasutterccw View Post
This weekend I am going to let you try my Mernickle holster on (assuming you get your gun that soon). Although it is a lefty holster you will get the bigger picture.

P.S. who won tonights shoot?
Thanks, I'll be there. I won't have my gun yet, though. The guy ordered it and he said it's in transit. I'm guessing that since guns have to be overnighted, it'll be here by tomorrow? Then I have the 10 days on it.

As to the shoot... who do you think won? I certainly didn't beat you... but the same guy who always wins won. In fact, he got a 538, which I understand is a personal best. I think I'm going to have to buy a truckload of ammo and just practice constantly.

And thanks for all the info from everyone else. I think OWB will be the way.

Last edited by Kappy : 06-11-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:49 PM

I should have kept that holster for my Taurus... might have gotten enough out of it in trade or sale for a holster for my CZ.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Founding Member

Quote:

Any help is welcome.
I'm a big guy, and happily carry a Sig P220R in a TT Gunleather IWB holster for as much as 18 hours a day.

The only suggestion I have is to start wearing suspenders...i wear Perry Suspenders. I don't HAVE to, but it takes all the weight off the hips and puts it on the shoulders, and balances it better.

"Raising the Debt Ceiling is kind of like increasing Blood Alcohol Levels to Solve Drunk Driving."
Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 PM

Most of my more substantial manly type clients...
suspenders and pocket carry... or iwb... suspenders seem to be the key..that way the belt does not have to be so tight..snug but not tight...pocket carry needs a pocket holster...iwb at the 4-430 position seems to be what I see most... most of the more substantial guys who practice also use owb holsters on the range or during the winter... a few fanny packs here and there

"Greebo turned upon Granny Weatherwax a yellow-eyed stare of self-satisfied malevolence, such as cats always reserve for people who don't like them, and purred. Greebo was possibly the only cat who could snigger in purr"

Greebo the Cat - Terry Pratchett "Witches Abroad"
Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 AM

I wound up getting a Mernickle holster. We'll see how it goes. It's the P1. Everything I've heard about them was extremely positive.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:31 PM

Different strokes for different folks. I'm a girthy mammal and carry a full size .45 auto IWB at 3 o'clock. Good holster and belt make all the difference.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fatman View Post
Hey Kappy,

I'm a big guy with a 54" waist. I've tried IWB and found it to be very uncomfortable with my PT145. OWB works better for me. Good luck with your holster search. Again, congrats on the new CCW.
I also cary a PT 145, but IWB at about 4:30 in the soft spot. My problem is I am not only large, 325 lbs, but tall 6'5" I have problem with long enough shirts. I can't raise my hands above shoulder height.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabsides View Post
Different strokes for different folks. I'm a girthy mammal and carry a full size .45 auto IWB at 3 o'clock. Good holster and belt make all the difference.

I agree, I have spoken to a lot of large people about IWB carry, some can't stand it some find it very comfortable. The one thing I have determined at this point through many conversations and experience is that the belt can be just as important as the holster as far as comfort is concerned. A comfortable holster can be very uncomfortable when combined with a soft sagging belt.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Orange County Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmASensFan View Post
I'm a big guy, and happily carry a Sig P220R in a TT Gunleather IWB holster for as much as 18 hours a day.

The only suggestion I have is to start wearing suspenders...i wear Perry Suspenders. I don't HAVE to, but it takes all the weight off the hips and puts it on the shoulders, and balances it better.
My 70 yr old father had hip problems. He went to the chiropractor and the first thing the chiro said was ... "empty your pockets." After his wallet, small crescent wrench, keys(lots of them), coin purse all hit the desk, the chiro told him to get suspenders and an inversion unit ....

Now when my dad gets in the inversion unit, all his change, tools and keys fall out of his pockets so he's lighter for the rest of the day.......

Actually, the suspenders help him allot. He just doesn't understand that he shouldn't be wearing the rainbow suspenders....

NRA - Life Member
CRPA Member
USA Shooting Member

Paws for Cures (ACVIM Foundation)
Sponsorship Committee Chairman
"Animal testing for the better treatment of your pet."