CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Gun Smithing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gun Smithing For discussing maintenance of CCW guns only!!! No long guns, modifications or anything else not related to CCW guns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM

Default Glock trigger spring broke?

First problem with the Glock26 today. I was at the range, shot about 100 rounds with G26, no problems.
I got home and went to clean it when I noticed that the trigger spring broke.
Has anybody experienced this??
I have shot housands of rounds through it, no problems till now.
I took the trigger group out last week for cleaning and I wonder if there was something I did to cause the spring to break, if not, I'm not sure what happened.

You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you're going to do are: 1) Call someone with a gun. 2) Pray they get there in time. - Unknown

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 PM
Senior Founding Member

That does sometimes happen, especially on older guns. Its possible you strained it, or exacerbated a problem. i've never had one break personally, but youre not the first. It's a $2 part and about 5 min to fix.
“Now, I shoot a Glock. Make sure you tell guys that the 1911 is a pain in the ass. If they don’t like messing around with the pistol and spending a grand to really get it tuned, then they should forget it.”
- Larry Vickers
Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 AM

I have a 19 I've carried since the mid '90s and replace the return spring with the recoil spring every time just to be safe).

Me: "Yeah, well I know Bang-Fu." (BANG!....... fool......)

Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertarian View Post
That does sometimes happen, especially on older guns. Its possible you strained it, or exacerbated a problem. i've never had one break personally, but youre not the first. It's a $2 part and about 5 min to fix.
I can't agree more. This is an inexpensive part and one I keep on hand for replacement.

F-4E fighter pilot "Crazed Dog"
USAF Veteran
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
NRA Certified Refuse to be a Victim Instructor
USPSA Range Officer
Glock Armorer
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMonkey View Post
replace the return spring with the recoil spring every time just to be safe).
Every time meaning what?

You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you're going to do are: 1) Call someone with a gun. 2) Pray they get there in time. - Unknown

Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreiner2 View Post
First problem with the Glock26 today. I was at the range, shot about 100 rounds with G26, no problems.
I got home and went to clean it when I noticed that the trigger spring broke.
Has anybody experienced this??
I have shot housands of rounds through it, no problems till now.
I took the trigger group out last week for cleaning and I wonder if there was something I did to cause the spring to break, if not, I'm not sure what happened.
I have had the G26 for many years and fire thousands of rounds through it. I guess one little spring breaking isn't too bad, but this is my EDC which was slightly worrysome...what ifs went through my mind momentarily.
The biggest problem I had was finding a vendor who had just the factory springs in stock, and who had no major shipping or order filling delays!
I finally called Lone Wolf Distributers directly, they had them in stock and will be shipping today for arrival next week, total for 2 springs w/ shipping=9.45.
Good customer service, friendly staff.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
... Lone Wolf Distributers ....
Thanks for the pointer, did not know about these guys. Just ordered a few odds and ends from them for the work-bench.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Every time meaning what?
Sorry...... I meant every time I do the recoil spring I also do the trigger return spring.

Me: "Yeah, well I know Bang-Fu." (BANG!....... fool......)

Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 PM

After shooting thousand round through your G26, you should have considered replacing ALL the springs. Could have purchased ALL the springs, 4 in all, for about $25.00.

"Self-defense is not violence; we do not shoot to kill, we shoot to stay alive." - Sonia Wolff
Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Sacramento Member

Check your local Glock dealers, especially Blue Label with LEO contracts. At various times, Glock will provide factory armorers on site to strip, clean and refurbish pistols. Summer of 2012, I took two G17s from the late 80's into San Jose shop. Armorers replaced springs, did warranty upgrades, lubed and returned in 10 minutes while I chatted with them. Total price: $0.00.

Also, check the Glock site for GSSF matches in your area. Armorers are on site for the same services. Glock Sport Shooting Foundation

JR
Old 02-20-2013, 01:49 PM
OC Junior Member

From FTA, your carry weapon should not be your range weapon, each of my carry guns have about 500 rounds through them, every few months, a couple of magazines at the local range. Weapon cleaned, loaded with a fresh mag, and placed in carry holster. If your carry weapon is your only weapon, suggest changing all springs every 2000 rounds.
FYI. Your glock will still fire with trigger spring broken, holding trigger back cycle slide(losing a round) trigger is now set and can fire, this can be repeated but you will lose a round each time
Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 AM

If you shoot from reset, you will not notice that the trigger reset spring is broken. Put the Glock back together without a reset spring and dry fire from reset and you will see what I mean.

That being said, the two things that need to be replaced on a Glock every 5000 rounds are the recoil spring and the trigger reset spring. Especially on a carry gun.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentffdo View Post
From FTA, your carry weapon should not be your range weapon, each of my carry guns have about 500 rounds through them, every few months, a couple of magazines at the local range. Weapon cleaned, loaded with a fresh mag, and placed in carry holster. If your carry weapon is your only weapon, suggest changing all springs every 2000 rounds.
FYI. Your glock will still fire with trigger spring broken, holding trigger back cycle slide(losing a round) trigger is now set and can fire, this can be repeated but you will lose a round each time
I can somewhat see the logic in this, but nothing beats training with what you carry IMO. My 26 is my EDC and it sees range time every time I go. I have put it through a lot and it actually makes me feel better that it has not had any hiccups. My LGS has a Glock armorer, so I guess I have really never been concerned about a piece breaking and putting it out of commission for long. I have thought about buying a second to train with, but honestly I'd rather buy something else. I have a G19 and a G30 listed on my permit, so if it goes down, I have back up.
Scott
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM

I have a 19 suddenly, and uncharacteristically, begin to malfunction a couple time per mag.
The gun has about 12K rounds through it so I switched the recoil spring ($7) and it's working good as new.

I should probably change the other springs too, huh ...
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM
OC Junior Member

JC
A good cleaning and inspection are in order after 12000 rounds, not a big issue. Some wear items to be checked along with replacing all the springs
Then good for another 12k