CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Gun Smithing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gun Smithing For discussing maintenance of CCW guns only!!! No long guns, modifications or anything else not related to CCW guns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 04:01 PM

Default experience with Kimber and coating repair?

picked up my Ultra CDP 11 new last September and immediately scratched the coating in about 3 places. Plus there are scuff marks where the coating has flaked off under the safety. Think Kimber will repair or even re-coat the piece for me under warranty or am I just being more than usually anal?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:33 PM

Why not call em up and ask?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Medic View Post
Why not call em up and ask?
yeah...will do that and was hoping to hear that they did the work --at least have some information of prior experience. Can't remember if this was the forum or not but the coating was an ongoing issue for some and there was to be a follow-up post as to the official Kimber reply but I cannot now locate the post I was following. Seems that I lose stuff more and more lately Woe is me.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Senior Founding Member

I can understand your wanting to make it look real purty...my daily carry Kimber Custom II is fairly beat up looking, it gets used hard, and although I clean it, it does not look "new", but comfortably used. However, it is very reliable, accurate, and I long ago quit worrying when it got banged around or dirtied up. I think it gives it character

Personally, I wouldnt spend the time or money on those scratches, wear it, use it, and nobody else is supposed to see it anyway. If you want a real purty looking gun, buy one and keep it new-in-box in your safe, just for showing off.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Catchy Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeach View Post
I can understand your wanting to make it look real purty...my daily carry Kimber Custom II is fairly beat up looking, it gets used hard, and although I clean it, it does not look "new", but comfortably used. However, it is very reliable, accurate, and I long ago quit worrying when it got banged around or dirtied up. I think it gives it character

Personally, I wouldnt spend the time or money on those scratches, wear it, use it, and nobody else is supposed to see it anyway. If you want a real purty looking gun, buy one and keep it new-in-box in your safe, just for showing off.
That is why God invented the Kimber Grand Raptor II... to be a safe queen, and only be brought out as often as the good china.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLDIERSCOTT View Post
That is why God invented the Kimber Grand Raptor II... to be a safe queen, and only be brought out as often as the good china.
Hmmmm...

Trying to picture where to place the Kimber in a formal place setting...Does it go above the dessert spoon and fork, or do you put it to the right of the soup spoon?

"Raising the Debt Ceiling is kind of like increasing Blood Alcohol Levels to Solve Drunk Driving."
Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Catchy Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmASensFan View Post
Hmmmm...

Trying to picture where to place the Kimber in a formal place setting...Does it go above the dessert spoon and fork, or do you put it to the right of the soup spoon?
Under the napkin.......CCW forum remember? hahahahahahaha
Old 01-26-2010, 06:55 PM

yeah but if they will re-coat it for free I want it purty again. Every time I look at it I am reminded of what a clutz I am
Old 01-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
yeah but if they will re-coat it for free I want it purty again. Every time I look at it I am reminded of what a clutz I am
No offense, but how would that be a warranty claim? I bet you money they will charge you at least $150 to touch that gun.

Report back once you had a chance to talk to their customer service folks, please.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock32 View Post
No offense, but how would that be a warranty claim? I bet you money they will charge you at least $150 to touch that gun.

Report back once you had a chance to talk to their customer service folks, please.
yeah--first day, soon as I got it to the truck I scratched it using a kahnife to cut off a tag that was ziptied to the trigger guard, then with the slide stop pin and stuff but there are scratches under the safety where it's just worn through from normal action and that happened almost immediately. I know I am anal but when I get the Glock added to my permit the Kimber will be just for home defense and looking good.And even with the scratches it is a pretty weapon. I will call them Thursday and report the result....
Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 AM

The black kimpro II finish is subpar. They will not refinish my gun under warranty. Kinda sickening for for a 1200 dollar gun. I can scratch the frame with a fingernail. I think ratlle can paint would be more durable honestly. I may have the thing redone locally.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Senior Founding Member & Social Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
then with the slide stop pin and stuff but there are scratches under the safety where it's just worn through from normal action and that happened almost immediately.....
That is called a ID TEN T scratch. None of my Kimbers or Colts have those.

Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! ģ Copyrighted 1996

Amateurs Talk Hardware (Guns)

Professionals Talk Software (Training)

greg@firearmstraining.com

Oh Yeah! "Piss On Golf! Waste of a good range." Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman (Ret.) 1998
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWInstructor View Post
That is called a ID TEN T scratch. None of my Kimbers or Colts have those.
Yeah, this type of scratch may be covered by the warranty. You simply need to fill out the ID-10-T form and send it in with the weapon.

When I carry a gun, I donít do so because I am looking for a fight, but because Iím looking to be left alone...Marko Kloos

NRA Distinguished Life Member
Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith92555 View Post
Yeah, this type of scratch may be covered by the warranty. You simply need to fill out the ID-10-T form and send it in with the weapon.
I have that form saved to my desktop for quick access in time of need....