CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Liability/Legal cost insurance for self defense shooting

Greetings to all:
I am a relatively new gun owner and very new to CalCCW. Since getting a few pistols for home defense, mainly for my wife when I am traveling, I am getting paranoid about the aftermath of shooting a BG.

I have started my CCW application and taken the 8 hour training class required by my county. I am serious about training and the last thing I personally want to do is shoot another human being. That said, if it;s me or them, no question, it's all over!

My question is about insurance for the legal liabilities that can happen after the event. Lets assume we are completelly within the law and don;t implicate ourself in interviews, I understand it can still cost $50K-$100K. Whoknows what other issues will occur that will impact my job and well being.

Questions for the seasons folk:
1) Can anyone recommend an insurance product that would cover my expenses in the event of a self defense shooting?
2) The NRA recommend such a policy from a prefered insurer. I don;t know the details beyonf policy cost and dollar limits. Does anyone have comments on the and if it's worth the paper it's written on?
3) Any other recommendation would be welcomes and the paranoia is really putting my wife off having a gun for self defense.

Thanks,

Kevin
Northern CA.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Senior Founding Member

You can start with this thread:
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/legal/4...available.html

And WELCOME to the board.
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776
Quote:
"You've been angry too long.... Join me in my zen place...". RomanDad, circa 2008
Quote:
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne
Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumey View Post
Greetings to all:
I am a relatively new gun owner and very new to CalCCW. Since getting a few pistols for home defense, mainly for my wife when I am traveling, I am getting paranoid about the aftermath of shooting a BG.

I have started my CCW application and taken the 8 hour training class required by my county. I am serious about training and the last thing I personally want to do is shoot another human being. That said, if it;s me or them, no question, it's all over!

My question is about insurance for the legal liabilities that can happen after the event. Lets assume we are completelly within the law and don;t implicate ourself in interviews, I understand it can still cost $50K-$100K. Whoknows what other issues will occur that will impact my job and well being.

Questions for the seasons folk:
1) Can anyone recommend an insurance product that would cover my expenses in the event of a self defense shooting?
2) The NRA recommend such a policy from a prefered insurer. I don;t know the details beyonf policy cost and dollar limits. Does anyone have comments on the and if it's worth the paper it's written on?
3) Any other recommendation would be welcomes and the paranoia is really putting my wife off having a gun for self defense.

Thanks,

Kevin
Northern CA.

Welcome Brumey.....

I've an umbrella policy for a cool mil. Very inexpensive through my insurance comp.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Welcome Brumey.....

I've an umbrella policy for a cool mil. Very inexpensive through my insurance comp.
+1

An umbrella policy from a reputable insurance company is a good idea, I have a 1 mil policy too and it's very inexpensive, I have had it long before I got my CCW because I have assets to protect, but now it's just an extra sense of protection if you are ever involved in a self defense situation.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:28 PM

I have that coverage from the NRA. Costs $165 a year. I hope I never need to use it.

You should check them out. You really should join if you are not a member.

NRA Insurance - Share the Belief, Share the Benefits - Excess Personal Liability: Self-Defense
and notice more than you realize.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American
Indian." ~ Henry Ford

Old 12-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Founding Member

Welcome aboard Brumey. Hope the answers above help.

sac
"The difference between someone on the left and us, is we instinctively understand this through common sense, education and intelligence -- while liberals have trust issues, control issues and view the world from fantasy land."

Old 12-21-2008, 02:01 PM

I didn't see that anyone mentioned the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network. You may want to check them out. When you join you get some good videos pertaining to the aftermath of a self defense shooting, self defense legal issues, etc. Pretty good info.

Cheers,
TheNeko
Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 PM

Thanks to everyone. I have an existing umbrella policy with State Farm for 1 Million. Was thinking of increasing it depending on cost of premium. I have called them to get specific details on what they cover in the event of a SD shooting and legal mess.

I'll look into the NRA insurance too (already a proud member).

Kevin
Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM

This has come up before. It's a very confusing subject.

Homeowner insurance and umbrella liability policies cover unintentional acts. Self-defense, be it shooting someone or punching them, is an intentional act. Read your umbrella policy an examine the intentional acts exclusion. Unless it has an exception to the exclusion that specifically states acts of self-defense are covered then you are not covered. I know a negative to a negative is confusing but that's insurance legalese for you.

A representative from one of State Farm's regional centers (not the local insurance agent) stated their umbrella policy does not cover self-defense.

Remember that unless it's in writing then your insurance policy does not provide coverage. Ask your agent to show you two things: where the policy excludes intentional acts, and where the policy covers self-defense. Do not settle for verbal assurances. If they try to blow smoke and reassure you, ask them to put it in writing. They won't.

I have not been able to find an insurance company that includes self-defense coverage in an umbrella policy. (USAA doesn't count 'cause I'm not former military.) I would be very interested to learn of a national company that does offer it in California.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:20 AM

It's been a couple of years ago, but my Allied Nationwide agent assured me that I was covered for 'lawful self defense' through my umbrella. He even read me the pertinent section of the policy.

I'll have to look around for my copy, but he convinced me then that I was good.