CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Orange County Member

Default California DROS fee increase?

I just purchased a Lower receiver for an AR15 and I was BSing with the guy that was doing the paperwork and he said that the California DROS Fees are going up to $85.00 in 2009? Is this true?!?!?! I just did a few searches on the web and couldnt find any information on it. Please verify if anyone can.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Senior Founding Member & Forum Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCW Please View Post
I just purchased a Lower receiver for an AR15 and I was BSing with the guy that was doing the paperwork and he said that the California DROS Fees are going up to $85.00 in 2009? Is this true?!?!?! I just did a few searches on the web and couldnt find any information on it. Please verify if anyone can.
CCW Please - I think you did not find anything on the web because it's not an entirely correct statement. There is no notice from DOJ regarding any fee increases for 2009. My best guess is that the particular dealer you are working with is going to be raising their dealer fees. Legally, a dealer can charge up to $35.00 for a DROS and nothing is changing for 2009. I suspect that your dealer might be adding "storage" fees and calling it a DROS increase for 2009. Unfortunately, "storage" fees are legal, but must be listed as a dealer fee.

See items 17 & 18 for more information here:
Frequently Asked Questions - Firearms Dealer - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

18. What fees can I charge in addition to the DROS?
In addition to the State's $19.00 DROS fee, you must also charge a $1.00 Firearms Safety Testing fee and a $5.00 Safety and Enforcement fee. If the transaction being processed is a dealer sale, consignment return, or return from pawn, you may impose other charges as long as this amount is clearly shown as a "dealer fee" and not misrepresented as a State fee.
(PC sections 12071(b)(11), (12))

18. What fees can I charge for handling a Private Party Transfer (PPT)?
If the transaction is a PPT, you are restricted to charging no more than $25.00 in State fees described and $10.00 per firearm for conducting the PPT. For example:

For a PPT involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees are $35.00 for the first handgun, and $31.00 for each subsequent handgun.
For PPTs involving one or more long guns, the State fees are limited to $25.00 for the whole transaction plus $10.00 dealer fee per firearm transferred.
(PC section 12082)

Old 09-25-2008, 06:55 PM

I mean...BAM....what an answer... straight to the point...no messin' around...no hyperbole...whatever that is....WOW

"Greebo turned upon Granny Weatherwax a yellow-eyed stare of self-satisfied malevolence, such as cats always reserve for people who don't like them, and purred. Greebo was possibly the only cat who could snigger in purr"

Greebo the Cat - Terry Pratchett "Witches Abroad"
Old 09-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
I mean...BAM....what an answer... straight to the point...no messin' around...no hyperbole...whatever that is....WOW
Female Instructor's a rockstar!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Orange County Member

That's still cheaper than Turners tried to hit me with for a transfer from an out of state dealer. $135 in DROS and fees. I found a local guy that did it for $25 DROS and $25 dealer fee.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Orange County Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
That's still cheaper than Turners tried to hit me with for a transfer from an out of state dealer. $135 in DROS and fees. I found a local guy that did it for $25 DROS and $25 dealer fee.
I had the same problem. I was trying to buy a lower from an out of state company. Turners wants $135. Ades wanted $65. Orange County Indoor Shooting Range wanted $75. So I went to a local dealer and bought it directly from them and thats when he said the DROS fee was increasing. J and J Armory in Santa Ana is who said that it was going up. Ah well, maybe he was misinformed or there was a miscommunication between us.

Either way, thanks for everyones input! Its appreciated!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:05 PM
No Special Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmASensFan View Post
Female Instructor's a rockstar!
she certainly is!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Orange County Member

Quote:
I had the same problem. I was trying to buy a lower from an out of state company. Turners wants $135. Ades wanted $65. Orange County Indoor Shooting Range wanted $75. So I went to a local dealer and bought it directly from them and thats when he said the DROS fee was increasing. J and J Armory in Santa Ana is who said that it was going up. Ah well, maybe he was misinformed or there was a miscommunication between us.

It's a bit of a putt for you but I have a guy in Wildomar that charges the $25 DROS, plus $25 for the one rifle, $35 for two, $45 for three etc on interstate transfers. Probably worth it if you buy more one than one at a time.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:47 AM
OC Junior Member

Quote:

I worked at J&J until just the other week. I have not heard of DROS going up.
Perhaps they were thinking about out of state transfers fees goint from $75 (what they charge now) to $85.

When you go to pick up ask the person to cite the source of the info.... Its the only way to stop bad info from spreading.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Orange County Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
It's a bit of a putt for you but I have a guy in Wildomar that charges the $25 DROS, plus $25 for the one rifle, $35 for two, $45 for three etc on interstate transfers. Probably worth it if you buy more one than one at a time.
Wow thats a good deal in comparison to other prices. Lol now with gas prices Wildomar might be worth spending the $65 bucks