CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 PM

Default Dianne Feinstein CCW

I wrote the Senator on the National Parks Issue and mentioned that she had once been issues a CCW. Although she did not respond to the Natl Parks issues, she did say the following with my response to her post script:

Dear Dr. TOP:

Thank you for writing to me about my permit to carry a concealed weapon. I would like to take this opportunity to set the record straight.

I possessed a concealed weapon permit for a short time beginning in 1976. In the mid‑1970s, a terrorist organization ‑‑ the New World Liberation Front ‑‑ carried out two attacks against me and my family. In the first, a bomb was placed outside the window of my daughter's bedroom. It detonated but did not explode. We were lucky: the weather was particularly (and unusually) cold, and the explosive they used didn't explode in below‑freezing temperatures. In the second, they shot out the windows of our beach home. My husband was terminally ill with cancer at the time.

Later, some of the members of the New World Liberation Front were arrested, and the threat abated. At that point, I had the gun -- and several other weapons that were turned into the police -- melted into a cross, which I presented to Pope John Paul II when I visited Rome in 1982. Currently, I do not possess a gun, nor do I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

I hope this addresses what you may have heard on the subject. If I can be of additional assistance, please do not hesitate to call my Washington, D.C. staff at (202) 224‑3841.

Senator:

Thank you very much for your personal response. I respect you for your public service and sacrifice. Your story is chilling and heart warming in the fact that you and your family were spared by an act of weather. I also respect your right to bare arms when you felt you and your family where threatened, it is our right as Americans to do so.

Again, thank you for sharing your personal story with me.

Respectfully,

John A. TOP, Ph.D
Old 05-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Founding Member

You mean "bear" arms....and I found the story about melting the guns into a cross to be bizarre. But hey...this is a person who believes she has the right to keep arms when it suits her...but nobody else should be entitled.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 AM

What she means is that you should only be allowed to have guns if bombs get tossed at your house.

Also, would she have been pleased if the process of a ccw at the time of her bombing attacks took months? Sounds to me like she had an immediate need for self protection and went out and got it. A luxery we do not have today.
"I've read news articles of people getting shot up at bus stops, work, church, toys-R-us, home, restraunts, and 5 year old's birthday parties. All places people would tell me I'd be crazy to bring a gun. And they were right, a crazy guy brought a gun."

~myself

Last edited by NSP : 05-13-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: missed thought
Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 AM

Default Feinstein

Hmmmm. Had her guns destroyed back in the '80's, did she? Something doesn't add up....Where did I read, or was it a "guy I know," that indicated she was caught going through airport security (SFO?) with a handgun concealed in her luggage back about the mid '90's. Oh well, since she "set the record straight," I must be wrong.....
Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 AM
R.I.P. 11-19-08

in 2002-2003 I was flying CA-DC a LOT (every week) she got on a plane I was on at Dulles. She wasn't hard to recognize, and I was working on the explosive detection system installation at all the airport so I paid attention to security. They knew who she was but asked her for ID anyway.

Her bags went around x-ray, and she stepped around the metal detector.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombard View Post
in 2002-2003 I was flying CA-DC a LOT (every week) she got on a plane I was on at Dulles. She wasn't hard to recognize, and I was working on the explosive detection system installation at all the airport so I paid attention to security. They knew who she was but asked her for ID anyway.

Her bags went around x-ray, and she stepped around the metal detector.
That is enough to give me a case of tight-jaw for a while...what a two faced witch!
Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM
R.I.P. 11-19-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeach View Post
That is enough to give me a case of tight-jaw for a while...what a two faced witch!
I didn't mind that. I was stopping the line to let her go around security WITHOUT waiting in line that got to me. If they'd just taken her through a back door, I wouldn't have cared. But I stood in that line for 40 minutes and had to run to the other end of the terminal to make my plane.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Super Special Member

Why would she still need it? She has her own, 1700 member police force at her beck and call....
Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Founding Member

It's "Becken Call" Somebody please help me...LOL I can't take it anymore
Old 05-16-2008, 09:12 AM

Interestering idiom: it seems to be correct both ways??

WikiAnswers- Idioms and Slang

Q. Is the saying Beckon call or beck and call?

A. The term "beck and call" used in a sentence is "Sue has her husband running at her beck and call." Beck is a short term for "Beconing" (summoning someone to you as if by order) and call means to call out or demand. In other words the person who has people coming to their "beck and call" is bossy and over-powering and in control.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwater10 View Post
Interestering idiom: it seems to be correct both ways??

WikiAnswers- Idioms and Slang

Q. Is the saying Beckon call or beck and call?

A. The term "beck and call" used in a sentence is "Sue has her husband running at her beck and call." Beck is a short term for "Beconing" (summoning someone to you as if by order) and call means to call out or demand. In other words the person who has people coming to their "beck and call" is bossy and over-powering and in control.
According to Websters New World Dictionary, both are usable. Beck is not short term for "Beconing"....it is short term for "Beckoning".

The usability of certain grammar is not point. I could use the word Blooter, which is correct as of 1958, but wouldn't apply in 2008 language... "Beck" - A gesture toward obedient servants. "Call" - to summon. Technically, he and you are correct....however that is not how it is used in modern day English and not how he phrased it in his sentence.

Today, it is slang - to describe an attitude and method. Beckon comes from the word - Beacen (a sign - foreign).

"The witch had her slaves at her beckon call"...is capability/future along with attitude. (Modern English - slang off shoot from original usage)

"The witch had her slaves at her beck and call" ...describes present tense action. (Old English - formal)

As they are both correct for use in the English language, you are technically correct. However - modern English "slang" (since you looked it up that way - and it's used that way today), is Beckon Call.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Senior Founding Member

According to Blacks' dictionary of modern slang, "Beckon call" is a mis-statement of the Old English, just like "intensive purposes" is. It's still wrong, even if it's leaked into the language as 'slang.'

Love,

Your Grammar Nazi
“Now, I shoot a Glock. Make sure you tell guys that the 1911 is a pain in the ass. If they don’t like messing around with the pistol and spending a grand to really get it tuned, then they should forget it.”
- Larry Vickers
Old 05-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Orange County Member

... and a few citation here:

Beck and call

... but what does this have to do with DiFi?
"Always Shoot Back First" - El Gato, post #76757

Don't shoot the Lion - he's one of us!

"The Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation."
Supreme Court of the United States: District of Columbia et al. v. Heller (page 19)
Old 05-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Senior Founding Member

I LOVE this thread!
Old 05-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertarian View Post
According to Blacks' dictionary of modern slang, "Beckon call" is a mis-statement of the Old English, just like "intensive purposes" is. It's still wrong, even if it's leaked into the language as 'slang.'

Love,

Your Grammar Nazi
It's not wrong...it's modern U.S.A. English. Beck and Call is European Old English formal. We don't use it here as a society anymore.

There are many "slangs" which become correct over time. Some are lazy shortening of phrases...while others are changed with changing times to fit the definition better.

This has nothing to do with DF....but I'm bored with her.