CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 10:38 PM

Default Oregon Non Resident CCW

Anyone on this site been successful in getting a CCW in Oregon? I read they issue Non-Resident permits to bordering state residents on a May-Issue basis. I would be interested in getting one if its possible and I would like to know the process.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Senior Founding Member & Social Director

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...-resident.html

Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! Copyrighted 1996

Amateurs Talk Hardware (Guns)

Professionals Talk Software (Training)

greg@firearmstraining.com

Oh Yeah! "Piss On Golf! Waste of a good range." Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman (Ret.) 1998
Old 03-26-2008, 11:49 PM

I tried in Curry and Josephine County and the sheriff flat out said NO even though I work for a gov't entity that should entitle me to such.

A quiet man is a thinking man.
A quiet woman is usually mad.

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom98915 View Post
I tried in Curry and Josephine County and the sheriff flat out said NO even though I work for a gov't entity that should entitle me to such.
Out of curiosity, how did you make the inquiry, via phone, unannounced visit, or formal appointment?

My job will require travel through Jackson, Deschutes, Linn, and Hood River counties from now to fall. Ill start asking the local sheriffs and post findings. As previously posted on another thread, I would hate to have to reply yes on my next renewal when asked if Ive ever been denied.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:56 PM

If some of your travels involve going near Hood River county, try calling Washington and Umatilla Counties. They usually issue to Washington residents, but I don't think it would be a huge issue to issue to a Californian.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 PM

I found this on another site. He suggests trying Douglas county:

Quote:
From Oregon Firearms Federation | FAQ's. A Gun Owner's Guide In The Beaver State :

Oregon allows you to apply for an Oregon license if you live in a bordering state and can show a "compelling business interest" or "other legitimate" reason. Some sheriffs consider "self defense" sufficient.

The sheriffs have discretion which they don't have if you live in Oregon. If you should choose to apply and meet the criteria, remember you can apply to the sheriff of any county. Some are a lot more friendly than others.

Also:

If you are an Oregon resident and meet the statutory requirements for a concealed handgun license, the sheriff must, in most cases, issue a license.

However, if you are not a resident the sheriffs have total discretion to approve or deny.

The law also requires that you have a "compelling business interest" in Oregon.

In other words, if you're not sleeping with the sheriff, forget it.

However, any county can issue the license, so your friend might well be successful by applying in a county not totally controlled by anti-rights radicals.

May I suggest starting in Douglas County.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
I found this on another site. He suggests trying Douglas county:

Hey, its worth a shot, no pun intended!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 PM

Default Oregon Non-Resident CHL

Okie Dokie. Here's the poop and the scoop. After stopping by the Klamath County Sheriff's Office and picking up the application this summer, my wife and I made a bonzai trip to Klamath County SO on Monday 10-20-08. Yes, you have to apply in person. My wife typed all of her information on the application, which they seemed to like. She has a CA CCW which impressed them, and they made a copy of it for their records. Her good cause statement was submitted as a word document and attached to the application. It wasn't like CA where you have to have bonified death threats against you. Just a little tiny bit more than routine self-defense and second amendment rights seemed to do the trick. She had her training documents, CA drivers' license, Passport (2 photo ID's required), and birth certificate with her. We arrived at 0900 hrs. and were back in our vehicle, on our way home at 0923 hrs. That's right 23 minutes. There was no oral interview. My wife was taken back behind closed doors, photographed and fingerprinted. The lady that takes care of the CCW's is named Marilyn. She's extremely pleasant and friendly. We called ahead on Friday to let her know we were coming, in case she needed a 3 day weekend or something. She actually said that she was looking forward to meeting us! My wife had to list 2 personal references. Niether of them were contacted. Today is 11-10-08. 20 days later, her Oregon CCW arrived in the mail! It's good for 4 years. $67.00 to the SO, and $15.00 to OSP for the criminal background check.

I'm very impressed with the treatment we received. A big thumbs-up to Marilyn, and to Sheriff Evinger! Klamath County Sheriff's Office 3300 Vandenberg Road Klamath Falls, OR 97603 (541) 883-5130. They will mail you to application in advance.

The OR CCW is valid in 13 states: AK, AZ, ID, IN, KY, MI, MY, OK, SD, TN, UT, VT. They only issue non-resident permits to WA, ID, NV, & CA residents. A CCW from your home state seemed to be a big deal, but not required as far as I could tell.

My wife now has CCW permits from CA, FL, NV, OR, & UT. and is good to go in 37 states.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
Okie Dokie. Here's the poop and the scoop. After stopping by the Klamath County Sheriff's Office and picking up the application this summer, my wife and I made a bonzai trip to Klamath County SO on Monday 10-20-08. Yes, you have to apply in person. My wife typed all of her information on the application, which they seemed to like. She has a CA CCW which impressed them, and they made a copy of it for their records. Her good cause statement was submitted as a word document and attached to the application. It wasn't like CA where you have to have bonified death threats against you. Just a little tiny bit more than routine self-defense and second amendment rights seemed to do the trick. She had her training documents, CA drivers' license, Passport (2 photo ID's required), and birth certificate with her. We arrived at 0900 hrs. and were back in our vehicle, on our way home at 0923 hrs. That's right 23 minutes. There was no oral interview. My wife was taken back behind closed doors, photographed and fingerprinted. The lady that takes care of the CCW's is named Marilyn. She's extremely pleasant and friendly. We called ahead on Friday to let her know we were coming, in case she needed a 3 day weekend or something. She actually said that she was looking forward to meeting us! My wife had to list 2 personal references. Niether of them were contacted. Today is 11-10-08. 20 days later, her Oregon CCW arrived in the mail! It's good for 4 years. $67.00 to the SO, and $15.00 to OSP for the criminal background check.

I'm very impressed with the treatment we received. A big thumbs-up to Marilyn, and to Sheriff Evinger! Klamath County Sheriff's Office 3300 Vandenberg Road Klamath Falls, OR 97603 (541) 883-5130. They will mail you to application in advance.

The OR CCW is valid in 13 states: AK, AZ, ID, IN, KY, MI, MY, OK, SD, TN, UT, VT. They only issue non-resident permits to WA, ID, NV, & CA residents. A CCW from your home state seemed to be a big deal, but not required as far as I could tell.

My wife now has CCW permits from CA, FL, NV, OR, & UT. and is good to go in 37 states.

Did you being a retired CHP have any bearing on her getting the permit?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:30 PM

Thank you for posting and sharing your information with the Forum. How long of a drive is it to Oregon from where you live? Well done!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 PM

I don't think that beign a retired CHP had much of an impact. When my turned in her application to Marilyn, marilyn asked if I was submitting an application as well. I told her, "No, I'm already covered by HR-218." She just smiled. Who knows?

As far as travel time. I checked into booking a flight from Sacramento to Klamath Fall. I would have cost us $1000.00. So, scratch that. We drove. Admittantly we left on Sunday, 4 hours to Reno, spent the night, at Motel 6 in Sparks, left early, and drove 4 hrs. to Klamath Falls. We live in Sonora (Tuolumne County). I could have left at 0100 hrs. on Monday, and made the 8 hr. trip, then driven another 8 hrs. home, but my back ain't what it use to be.

BTW, my wife is writing a letter of appreciation to Marilyn via Sheriff Evinger, complimenting her on her professionalism, and courtesy. It can't hurt to grease the skids for any other members who choose to follow behind us.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 PM

Great info Norseman, thanks for that.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Founding Member

Nice information. I have thought about an Oregon permit in the past, but just haven't the opportunity to get up that way for years.

spc
"The difference between someone on the left and us, is we instinctively understand this through common sense, education and intelligence -- while liberals have trust issues, control issues and view the world from fantasy land."

Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spc View Post
Nice information. I have thought about an Oregon permit in the past, but just haven't the opportunity to get up that way for years.

spc
Well if you never go there, then... I just wanted to share my wife's experience, and to assure some members of this forum, that CA residents can obtain a Non-Resident OR CHL with no hassle, minimal cost, and be treated as responsible citizens during the process. BTW, I just checked my spelling and typos on my previous post. How embarassing. I'm not borrowing Greg's keyboard anymore, it's obviously defective.

Last edited by Norseman : 11-10-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
Well if you never go there, then... I just wanted to share my wife's experience, and to assure some members of this forum, that CA residents can obtain a Non-Resident OR CHL with no hassle, minimal cost, and be treated as responsible citizens during the process. BTW, I just checked my spelling and typos on my previous post. How embarassing. I'm not borrowing Greg's keyboard anymore, it's obviously defective.
Don't get me wrong, your post is vary informative and welcome. We have had posts on Oregon CCW before and yours may contain the best information I have seen so far. It truly is nice to be treated like a citizen with rights and taken care of with courtisey and respect.

spc

(gregs keyboard will get you into the spelling remedial class)
"The difference between someone on the left and us, is we instinctively understand this through common sense, education and intelligence -- while liberals have trust issues, control issues and view the world from fantasy land."