CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Sacramento Member

Default Traffic Ticket Count

I go for renewal in Sac County this fall. I was wondering just today, "How many traffic tickets I can get and not have it be a problem for renewal". I get home and there in the mail is a ticket from Elk Grove PD where they caught me turning right on a red light with a rolling stop. Dang!

Those red light cameras raise a lot of money for that little big city in South Sacramento County! Maybe I'll stop spending money there. I can't believe I did that - I know that that intersection is lit with cameras!

So, now that I have vented, back to my question (it is now more relevant) how many tickets do you think you can get and not have it be a problem with renewal? Fortunately for my insurance, I attended traffic school for the one ticket I got last year. This will be the first time in about 20 years that I will have a ticket on my record, but I remember getting those pesky letters from the DMV in my 20's about the frequent tickets I used to get.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 PM

That's not likely to be a problem, though it might earn you a lecture at renewal time. However, do not think that because you went the traffic school route, the earlier ticket won't show up on your record. It will. The only thing traffic school does is keep your insurance company from "finding out" about it. When your IA runs your record check, both cites will be there.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 PM
Sacramento Member

The detective at my second interview asked me if I had ever been arrested, cited, or had any contact with the law. I told him I'd gotten one traffic ticket a few years ago. When he asked what for, I told him I got busted for rolling through a stop sign on my bike. The conversation went something like this:
Detective: "Bike- as in bicycle?"
Me: "Yeah, I didn't put my foot down all the way."
Detective: "Seriously, he wrote you for that?"
Me: "Yeah. I mean, I do admit I was in the wrong, and-"
Detective: [Starts laughing] "Geez, he must have been bored"

I'm sure if you explain it, it won't be a big deal. There's a huge difference between blazing through a red light three seconds after a phase change, or simply not quite stopping before the limit line on a right turn on red.

Also, consider fighting the ticket. They are fairly easy to beat, at least moreso than speeding tickets. Some rhetorical questions 1) Are you the registered owner AND driver of the vehicle? They always mail the ticket to the registered owner of the vehicle, but that is not necessarily who was driving. Parking tickets follow the vehicle's owner. Moving violations follow the driver. 2) Is the picture of you clearly, beyond a reasonable doubt, your likeness? Not obscured by sunglasses, hats, visors, or anything that may obstruct your face? 3) Does the video clearly show the car crossing the limit line without stopping while the signal head is clearly displaying a red phase? 4) Is the amber (yellow) phase long enough, in accordance with VC 21455.7? (get a stopwatch and rerun the video). Even if all of the above are true, there's still a chance the company running the scameras won't show up in court, or the judge will reduce the fine.
[Disclaimer: This is not legal advice. Merely the ramblings of a transportation engineer who is disillusioned by automated enforcement and believes that safety benefits are, at best, inconclusive. And at worst, totally ineffective and make our genuine quest for safety seem profit-driven and illegitimate in the eyes of the public. Not to mention the little constitutional issue where you're supposed to be able to cross-examine your accuser...

For your reference:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/si.../CA-Chap4D.pdf
Table 4D-102 "Suggested Minimum Yellow Interval Timing" is MANDATORY for lawful operation of a red light camera.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." -Ronald Reagan

NRA Member
CA, NV, FL

Last edited by dancincowboy : 05-13-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: extra information
Old 05-14-2013, 05:43 AM
Sacramento Member

Yes, I will disclose the ticket not on my insurance record because I took traffic school. Yes, I know that my renewal is not in jeopardy because I got this nuisance fund raising ticket. My question is out of interest. What kind of sober driving record prevents someone from getting a CHL?

For example, I know a young man who has a number of tickets and an accident. One of his tickets was for reckless driving - he was arrested and served four days because a small town cop and district attorney regularly puts out of staters in jail for nothing to prove they are powerful.

If my record consisted (like it did in my 20's) of two or three speeding tickets every year, would that prohibit me from getting a CCW by most agencies?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
If my record consisted (like it did in my 20's) of two or three speeding tickets every year, would that prohibit me from getting a CCW by most agencies?
It most likely would because in the view of most agencies a record like that, without an extremely good explanation, demonstrates a lack of good judgment.
"We therefore hold that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment right recognized in Heller. The judgment of the Court of Appeals is reversed, and the case is remanded for further proceedings.
It is so ordered." (McDonald p. 44,45 - SCOTUS No. 08–1521. Argued March 2, 2010—Decided June 28, 2010)
Quote:
"Those who built on the wall, and those who carried burdens, loaded themselves so that with one hand they worked at construction, and with the other held a weapon." - Nehemiah 4:17
Old 05-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Still special, just a lot older

The best thing to do is "stop rolling through red lights."
Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalChuck View Post
The best thing to do is "stop rolling through red lights."
Or eating while driving, texting while driving, talking to others in the car while driving, talking on phone while driving, yawning while driving, using a GPS while driving, or anything else.

All of these things can and have gotten people tickets.

States broke and they're writing for "distracted driving" now. Whats distracted driving you may ask? Its whatever the officer says it is.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
For example, I know a young man who has a number of tickets and an accident. One of his tickets was for reckless driving - he was arrested and served four days because a small town cop and district attorney regularly puts out of staters in jail for nothing to prove they are powerful.
This is not so unusual, and not necessarily out of line. Unless there's been a change in the law, technically, a resident of another state is not necessarily eligible to be released from an "arrest" on his/her promise to appear - which is what getting a ticket actually amounts to. The reason is the lack of a reasonable means of enforcement if the person fails to appear, or to take care of the ticket. This is hardly if ever done for a simple speeding ticket, but that isn't the situation you described. Reckless driving, no matter the section cited, is definitely not an infraction.

You don't provide enough information to gauge fully what happened in your young friend's situation, but the details of just what he did to earn a reckless driving ticket/arrest could easily reach the level that a peace officer actually effected an arrest. It's not outside the realm of reasonable action. And I have no idea why he stayed in jail for four days, but there are many explanations for that, too. Also, there are many different charges that might be described as "reckless driving."

In this as in all things, reporting the facts is one thing. Assuming a person's intent is something else entirely, and often flat wrong.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Sacramento Member

Unfortunately, since LTC issuance is geographically scattered in this state, there cannot be one answer to the question. Unless that answer is, "It depends".

If an issuing agency is reluctant to issue, but feels pressure to do so, one might find that any transgression could lead to cancellation of the permit.

In a more LTC-friendly environment, one or two infractions may be understood and ignored.

Sac Sheriff knows about the Elk Grove cameras. Especially Bruceville and Laguna.

JR
Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietpi View Post
That's not likely to be a problem, though it might earn you a lecture at renewal time...
There's where I'd get in trouble.

... If a LEO interviewer lectured me for a ticket on my record, I'd have to ask when he was last stopped and whether he got a ticket.

Kind of a lot of nerve to lecture for simple traffic violation when you're effectively immune from such citation.

A LEO friend was just telling me he was lit up for a rolling stop (a $600 ticket after all the fees around here).

I asked, "did he write you?" --knowing the answer.
He shook his head, with a slightly awkward smile.
Must be nice!

I wonder how it works when an off-duty LEO gets zapped by a traffic camera .... I'll have to ask.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 PM

I recently got a camera light ticket.
Talked to a lawyer who said he gets 100% thrown out or dismissed.
His price 600$ in two payments or all at once.
I went to court, pled guilty and the judge reduced my
fine but after missing work and 45$ for making payments.
It would have been worth the lawyer...
Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCaswell View Post
There's where I'd get in trouble.

... If a LEO interviewer lectured me for a ticket on my record, I'd have to ask when he was last stopped and whether he got a ticket.

Kind of a lot of nerve to lecture for simple traffic violation when you're effectively immune from such citation.

A LEO friend was just telling me he was lit up for a rolling stop (a $600 ticket after all the fees around here).

I asked, "did he write you?" --knowing the answer.
He shook his head, with a slightly awkward smile.
Must be nice!

I wonder how it works when an off-duty LEO gets zapped by a traffic camera .... I'll have to ask.
Not only you should you not do the above, you should tell him his farts smell like roses. Win the battle, lose the war.