CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 05:59 PM

Default CCW and Being legally blind

The thought just crossed my mind. Would the only reason why a legally blind person would not get a CCW is because he/she would fail the qualification test? or are there other restrictions?

How about being blind and passing the HGSC, would a legally blind person be allowed to purchase a firearm? If i was a seller, i would feel uncomfortable handing a firearm to a blind person...
Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
CalCCW Staff Wizard

I wonder if the Sheriff would let them put a coach gun on their CCW.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
I wonder if the Sheriff would let them put a coach gun on their CCW.
if so, I'd hope it had hammers

Disclosure is Bliss
Old 12-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Senior Member, Eugene the Jeep

A good scatter gun or a claymore….

Can they see well enough to hit the target? legally blind is not totally blind...

Society is safer when criminals don't know who's armed.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 PM

The right to bear arms is just that, a right ( I know, I know, california considers it a priviledge to be issued a CCW, I do not) and therefor I see no reason to restrict a blind person from exercising that right.
Of course it goes without saying that each person is obligated to understand their own limitations and act accordingly.
Proper focused training would of course be needed.

We all have to understand limitations on time & place when it comes to using a CCW for personal protection. For instance we may be able to carry our weapon into an event that is highly populated but that does not mean we can use it under those circumstances even if the need arose. We might miss or the bullet may over penetrate and with a large quantity of innocent people around someone may get hit.
The same with a blind person, that person would need to understand that they could only use their weapon if they were in direct contact with the assailant so they could be assured of a hit.

Blind man given concealed carry permit - Gun & Game - The Friendliest Gun Forum on the Internet
Quote:
If I use a gun it will be at point-blank range, period,” he said. “A sighted shooter is probably more dangerous because they can see something scary and pull their gun in haste.”
American Legion
VFW

$

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEBUNT
Old 12-08-2011, 11:03 PM

One of my older clients is legally blind..
he has to have a driver... vision is shapes/light etc..
he can ID badguys at about 15 yds....

he shoots amazingly well...
but then again he was in one of the first classes The col. gave at gunsite...and thinks Clint Smith is a pup....

and still shoots a 1911... John Harrison built If I remember correctly..and needs a magnifier to read serial numbers and his kindle is on large font...

so who better needs a ccw?

"Greebo turned upon Granny Weatherwax a yellow-eyed stare of self-satisfied malevolence, such as cats always reserve for people who don't like them, and purred. Greebo was possibly the only cat who could snigger in purr"

Greebo the Cat - Terry Pratchett "Witches Abroad"
Old 01-25-2012, 08:50 PM

This is a thought-provoking thread. The main point is that every person has a right to self-defense. Self-defense is a right, not a "privilege" (like driving a car). A blind person is still a person. Any persons who use deadly force in self-defense (or in the defense of another person) will be legally accountable for using that force. If they use such force in error, they will be legally accountable.

Obviously a blind person would be more susceptible than a sighted person to making errors in the use of a firearm. For that reason, blind persons need to be aware of their limitations and especially careful not to make mistakes.

No one would say that a blind person should not be allowed to have a firearm in his or her home...(OK, some people may say this, but I suspect it would not pass muster with even the most Liberal hoplophobes or the ACLU).

A blind person may not be able to hit a range target at 5 yards, but so what? What if the blind person is in a wheelchair on the streets and some miscreant psychopath tries to rob him at knife point? I'd hope that the blind guy has a CCW license and a handgun on his person. I'd hope he could draw his gun at close quarters and "stop the threat."

Having 20/20 vision is not an essential requirement for CCW; having a functional brain and good judgement is essential.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:17 AM
SM, Let's go out dancing! You put on your black dress, and I'll go shave my tongue.

Talking

I have no problem with a totally blind person owning a gun or using it in self defense in their home since it is a static environment and can get help from a sighted person to know safe background. As for a totally blind person having a ccw in a dynamic environment, would firing that gun even in self dense be considered neglegent discharge of a firearm if you can't account for what it might hit? Now for legally blind, I guess that would depend entirely on how blind they are. I know for myself I think I would have a hard time throwing rounds down range blindly not knowing the background. This is a hard one I would hate to limit any law abiding citizen the right to self preservation
Old 01-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Untitled Peasantry, Blissful Anonymity

Reminds me of "Wait until Dark"