CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 01:34 AM

Default gun transport on foot

Hi! I live in San Francisco...unfortunately (at least for firearms) and I have a Ruger P89 and I live near the one and only shooting range in san francisco. It is about 2 or so miles away, and I don't have a car. So, is there any legal way I can take it to the shooting range?

I have checked the public transportations website, and it doesn't have anything on their about what you can and can't take onto the transit. (but they do ban advertisements promoting firearms which is freaking ridiculous to me, so I'm guessing I can't transport them on MUNI transport)

So, unless I can get a ride from a friend, the only transport i have is by foot. and I don't have a CCW (surprise!). So is there any legal carry method?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior Founding Member & Social Director

I hit report a post to have a Admin move this thread. The section you posted in didn't allow replies.

I would lock it unloaded in a container, then put that container in a backpack or shoulder tote.By law that is not a concealed weapon once you lock it unloaded in a container. The outer case is to hide what is in the original case.

Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! Copyrighted 1996

Amateurs Talk Hardware (Guns)

Professionals Talk Software (Training)

greg@firearmstraining.com

Oh Yeah! "Piss On Golf! Waste of a good range." Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman (Ret.) 1998
Old 05-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Still special, just a lot older

Put you ammo in another locked and closed case as they will both be in the back pack together.
I am not a lawyer but that should cover you but if I were you I would walk to the closest police station and ask them out right.
When you do be sure to get the badge number and name of the officer that tells you it should be OK . . . . .
San Francisco is a unique place and you need to CYA so to speak.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalChuck View Post
Put you ammo in another locked and closed case as they will both be in the back pack together.
I am not a lawyer but that should cover you but if I were you I would walk to the closest police station and ask them out right.
When you do be sure to get the badge number and name of the officer that tells you it should be OK . . . . .
San Francisco is a unique place and you need to CYA so to speak.
I think CCWI covered it pretty well but the above is extremely risky behavior. If you want good gun law advice then TALK TO A LAWYER or a subject matter expert such as CCWI. DO NOT ask LEO for legal advice!!!!!!! I can't count the number of times that someone has posted on this forum that a LEO has interpreted the law incorrectly. They have even gone so far as to get a member out of his car on the side of the freeway with his son at his side and told him that he could not carry his weapon loaded WITH HIS CCW LICENSE!! I can't emphasize enough not to go to a LEO for gun law advice. Getting his name and badge number will do NOTHING for you when you are arrested for a gun crime, ESPECIALLY in SF.

Keith

When I carry a gun, I dont do so because I am looking for a fight, but because Im looking to be left alone...Marko Kloos

NRA Distinguished Life Member
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Senior Founding Member & Social Director

Police Officers arrest people. They do not arraign them or file charge against them, Deputy District Attorneys do that.

You have to understand, law enforcement job is collect evidence for the DA's office.

I didn't mention ammo, thought that was simple enough. Put in the back pack it does not need to be locked or even in a separate container other than it's box.

Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! Copyrighted 1996

Amateurs Talk Hardware (Guns)

Professionals Talk Software (Training)

greg@firearmstraining.com

Oh Yeah! "Piss On Golf! Waste of a good range." Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman (Ret.) 1998
Old 05-08-2011, 09:06 PM

Yes, because carrying ammo itself is not illegal, and when you lock a gun inside of a case and put it in your back pack, as far as the law is concerned, it is basically the same as not having a gun on your person at all, so therefore having the ammo on your person, is not like carrying a loaded weapon.
Taurus PT 145
Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckoholic View Post
Yes, because carrying ammo itself is not illegal, and when you lock a gun inside of a case and put it in your back pack, as far as the law is concerned, it is basically the same as not having a gun on your person at all, so therefore having the ammo on your person, is not like carrying a loaded weapon.
That, and the fact that the gun isn't loaded.

12026.2 has a specific allowance for transporting a weapon, although it really isn't needed:

(9) The transportation of a firearm by a person when going
directly to, or coming directly from, a target range, which holds a
regulatory or business license, for the purposes of practicing
shooting at targets with that firearm at that target range.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:45 PM

one little piece of advice too - be sure you get your receipt from you visit to the range and have it in your wallet just in case you get stopped since the gun will smell of fresh burnt powder after use. That one little piece of paper can help you go about your business since it's proof of where you were.

Even though I have a license I always get a receipt for that reason
and notice more than you realize.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American
Indian." ~ Henry Ford

Old 05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Still special, just a lot older

You know it really is a shame that here we are trying to interpret a law that California has that limits and in some cases takes away what our Constitution says we should be able to do.

I know . . . . I know . . . . It's the law but reading through these replies just hit me wrong. Believe me when I say, Obey the law.

I just had to vent . . . . .
I think I'll go back outside and work in my garden . . . .

Good Luck and Stay Safe
Old 05-18-2011, 08:37 PM

I am not a lawyer, and this is just my opinion...

But I do think that you can carry a concealable gun on your person "on the streets" if you carry it unloaded in a locked container. So far as I know there is no requirement that you carry ammo in a locked container, but if you carry ammo on your person, it would be a good idea not to have any ammo in the container that encloses your gun. This is general advice about carying your gun "on the streets." Other restrictions may apply to "special" locales, like "school zones."
Old 05-19-2011, 11:16 AM

No other restrictions in school zones. This is the only legal way to carry in a school zone without a CCW that I know of. There is an enhancement that prohibits you from having ammunition anywhere on your person when in the commission of a felony though.

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Anyone wanting to add conditions for the excercise of this fundamental right is NOT a supporter of the Second Amendment or a friend of this Republic. Any man debarred the use of arms is NOT a free man!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Founding Member

Keep in mind, many folks do not own cars...I would suspect a good lawsuit if one were arrested while carrying a locked, unloaded firearm..."what, you mean I have to own a car in order to go to the range?". Something about the 14th being violated.

"Raising the Debt Ceiling is kind of like increasing Blood Alcohol Levels to Solve Drunk Driving."

Last edited by IAmASensFan : 05-20-2011 at 11:07 AM.