CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 09:41 PM

Default Want to obtain CCW in Nevada, need answers

I have a Utah and Ca CCW permit. As everyone knows Nevada does not recognize Utah anymore.

I need to know what I need to do to obtain my Nevada CCW. If I take a class and then present my documents to the Nevada sheriff do they issue on the spot or do I have to wait for the FBI/DOJ clearance before they issue. Is there an application form to download?

Planning on a trip to Nevada in October and need to get all in order.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by right2defend View Post
I have a Utah and Ca CCW permit. As everyone knows Nevada does not recognize Utah anymore...
I'm in the same boat, having a resident CA CCW and non-resident Utah CCW. These two licenses don't allow me to CCW in Nevada and Oregon, neighboring states where I'd like to be able to CCW...

I guess that for the Nevada permit I'll need to go to Nevada to apply...Reno is closest to me (I'm in the SF Bay Area). I heard that an Oregon Sheriff was
planning to allow Californians to apply for an Oregon CCW at gun shows here. Is that still on?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:33 PM

In order to get a NV CCW permit, you will need to take a NV CCW class.
Your instuctor will provide you with the CCW application packet.
During the CCW class, you will qualify with the handguns you want listed on your permit. Revolvers are a firearm class, so you qualify with one and you can carry any revolver. Semi-auto pistols are listed by make/model/caliber. So, you need to qualify with each semi-auto pistol you want listed.
You turn in the packet in person with the county sheriff. Where you will get live scanned and have your photo taken.
Your NV permit will be mailed to you within 120 days.

For the Reno area...
Armed & Safe is recommended.

For the Las Vegas area...
Kurt Gepke is highly recommended. He is a private instructor that does small group classess. He has a flexible schedule and does not charge extra for qualifying with lots of handguns.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 PM

I have had a non-resident NV CCW permit for 7 years and gone through 2 renewals.
All my experience is in the Las Vegas area (Clark County).

I've gone through The Gun Store's CCW course twice.
First time, was in 2003, went to them because they were the only people advirtising that they taught the non-resident NV CCW class.
Went back there to renew in 2006. They had a mid-week class, which worked out with my schedule.
Price use to be $75 for two handguns and $25 for each additional handgun.
You can also get the FL and UT permit through them.
The 8 hour class was a standard lecture enviroment in a side room at The Gun Store. You qualified after the lecture portion and they supplied the ammo.

When I renewed my permit in 2009, I went with Kurt Gepke (Team Digit). Kurt is a private instructor and does one-on-one & small group training sessions. Went with him because of price and scheduling. You can set up a training session any day of the week and he charged $125 for as many handguns as you want. Since, I was planning on qualifying with four handguns (Glock 30, Glock 39, Kel-Tec P-32 & Revolver class), going with him was the more economical choice. Ended up qualifying with six handguns, because he let me qualify with his handguns (Glock 19 & Walther P-22). He also said he would loan me a revolver to qualify with, if I didn't have one.
His class was more interactive and fun. The two handguns he lent me had noise suppressors attached, so it was interesting qualifying with those. After I qualified with all the handguns, he let me shoot several magazines through his SWD M-11/9 MG for free (w00t for free full-auto fun! ). He is also the only NV CCW instructor I know that will let you qualify with NFA firearms (AOWs & SBRs) and AR/AK pistols. He was also looking into becoming a UT CCW instructor.
I highly recommend going to Kurt for a non-resident NV CCW class.

Depending on the what day you go and the time of day, determines how fast you get processed through by LVMPD CCW detail. They are open Mon-Fri 0800-1500 hours.
I've always gone when they open at 0800 hours.
It usually takes under a hour to turn in your packet, pay the fee, get live scanned and have your photo taken.
It'll may take longer than an hour if you go on a Mon or Fri, reason being the place is usually full of strippers getting their work cards.

In 2003, LVMPD took about 110 days before I got my NV CCW permit.
In 2006, LVMPD took about 30 days before I got my NV CCW permit.
In 2009, LVMPD took about 20 days before I got my NV CCW permit.

Last edited by Quiet : 07-24-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:05 AM

Thank you, that's just what I needed to know.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Founding Member

I'll concur with Quiet and his experiences. I have held NV. permits since 2001 and have applied through Carson City (county) and Storey County. My most recent renewal took longer though because the state was changing over their computer systems. Armed and Safe in the Reno area puts on a good class. The non-res permits are now good for 5 years.

spc
"The difference between someone on the left and us, is we instinctively understand this through common sense, education and intelligence -- while liberals have trust issues, control issues and view the world from fantasy land."

Old 07-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Senior Member AKA: 3BZ

You have the information you need, but another recommendation for training in the Reno area is Sierra Firearms Academy. Excellent group of folks, former PD and Sheriff's Dept weapons trainers. That's where I took my NV CCW class last year.

You should know the newest "wrinkle" with NV CCWs is the Reno paper just won a lawsuit allowing them to publish the names of NV CCW holders in the paper. So if it bothers you that they legally can do that (though they haven't yet to my knowledge) be aware.

"From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was running." Forrest Gump
Old 07-25-2010, 05:43 PM
SB Member

Process was very smooth and easy. The hardest part was sitting through the class.

It literally took about two weeks to get my ccw in mail.

The cons are it will take two days of your time. One day for the class, and the next day to apply at the sheriff's dept.

Another con is that you have to qualify. You need to shoot targets at 3, 7, and 15 yards. If you have a normal barrel length gun, it should be easy, but it can be a challenge for people with snub revolvers or people who have never fired a gun before. Even if you are very experienced, I'd recommend practicing shooting the center of a full size (B27) especially at 15 yards.

You also have to use your left and right hands when qualifying 3 yards, which takes some getting used to, so if you haven't practiced firing with your weak hand, please do so.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boyzmom View Post
You have the information you need, but another recommendation for training in the Reno area is Sierra Firearms Academy. Excellent group of folks, former PD and Sheriff's Dept weapons trainers. That's where I took my NV CCW class last year.

You should know the newest "wrinkle" with NV CCWs is the Reno paper just won a lawsuit allowing them to publish the names of NV CCW holders in the paper. So if it bothers you that they legally can do that (though they haven't yet to my knowledge) be aware.
Oh well, so much for discretion with concealed. Good to know though. Thanks for the heads up.

spc
"The difference between someone on the left and us, is we instinctively understand this through common sense, education and intelligence -- while liberals have trust issues, control issues and view the world from fantasy land."

Last edited by spc : 07-25-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-15-2010, 10:50 PM

[quote=neuron;218579]I'm in the same boat, having a resident CA CCW and non-resident Utah CCW. These two licenses don't allow me to CCW in Nevada and Oregon, neighboring states where I'd like to be able to CCW...

I guess that for the Nevada permit I'll need to go to Nevada to apply...Reno is closest to me (I'm in the SF Bay Area). I heard that an Oregon Sheriff was
planning to allow Californians to apply for an Oregon CCW at gun shows here. Is that still on?[/
QUOTE]

Yes, it's still on! Money was raised thru contributions from Calguns members as well as similar groups in Washington and Idaho to buy the portable live scan machine. The Sheriff has received the portable live scan machine and is currently being trained in its use. I just recently provided gun show dates to them.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 AM

Thumbs up

Sheriff Palmer will be at the COW Palace Gun Show on Nov. 13-14 taking applications for Oregon CCW's (CHL's). Save yourself a trip to Oregon just to apply.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple K View Post
Sheriff Palmer will be at the COW Palace Gun Show on Nov. 13-14 taking applications for Oregon CCW's (CHL's). Save yourself a trip to Oregon just to apply.
So applying oregon ccw permit can be done in that gun show? I dont have to go and show up in oregon?

ty
Old 11-01-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2pd l0v3 View Post
So applying oregon ccw permit can be done in that gun show? I dont have to go and show up in oregon?

ty
Correct! Oregon law says that the application must be made to the Sheriff in person, it doesn't specify that the Sheriff must be in Oregon at the time. So, he's coming to us.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:39 PM

wow thats a good news. Im planning to apply one when i go in reno and take the nevada ccw class. The instructor told me that i still have to show up there in oregon even i got the class in nevada.

TY for the info. and good news

Last edited by s2pd l0v3 : 11-01-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Do you think he will be in cow palace on both days (13 & 14)?