CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Default Just filling out my Grant County Oregon CHL app

And I find this part of it so amazingly awesome!

Quote:
If you are a non-resident applicant, please list your
“Legitimate demonstrated need” for our records here. Examples may be for self
defense, constitutional right, travel, isolated rural roads, travel late at night, elderly,
lack of police coverage etc
…..
HA HA HA! I LOVE OREGON!!! I have decided to make the drive up to Grant county. I knew that Grant county was very much into issuing non resident permits, but I had no idea just HOW open they were to the idea. And according to their application, the fact that I previously held an Oregon CHL is proof enough of firearms training for them, although I will also provide copies of my other NRA certified handgun training that I have received just in case.

I really do plan to move back up there sometime soon, and don't want to have to go that period of being un-armed while I am waiting to establish residency and get my resident permit.
Taurus PT 145
Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Senior Founding Member

Another prime example of "doing it right".

Bravo!

Society Of The Honor Guard, Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier, Founding Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
CRPA Member
Self Defense Firearms Training - Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained!
Most of us here know "A Guy" Do you?

Posted by 3boyzmom
Quote:
On this forum, we attempt to foster a respect for the law and stay far away from "bending" the law. We also don't need anyone to be a test case. And while concealed does mean concealed, the way we conduct ourselves as CCW holders reflects on all of us. Don't carry somewhere just because you can get away with it. Carry there because it's legal and you're welcome there.
Visit CalCCW on Facebook
Old 06-03-2010, 07:05 PM

Breath of fresh air... I'd indicate 'all of the above'... Wouldn't it be a nice trend of things to come?...

John D'Agostini: "I will adopt a fair “shall issue” CCW license policy; whereby any county resident passing our state’s strict criminal background check, has not been adjudicated mentally ill, is of good moral character and demonstrates competence with their firearm through state required training shall not be denied."
Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Member AKA: 3BZ

I'm going to be in Oregon next week, but I've read that the Sheriff of Multunomah County (Portland) is not nearly so pro-issue of non-resident permits. I have a friend in Grants Pass. Maybe I'll have to visit him sometime instead.

"From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was running." Forrest Gump
Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boyzmom View Post
I'm going to be in Oregon next week, but I've read that the Sheriff of Multunomah County (Portland) is not nearly so pro-issue of non-resident permits. I have a friend in Grants Pass. Maybe I'll have to visit him sometime instead.
I actually decided due to time, that I am going to give Grants Pass a go. I have time to go to Grants Pass and back, but not to Canyon City and back. I don't get a day off very often. But yes you are right. Multnomah County is not a very good place to try getting a non-resident permit. They aren't even very positive about giving resident permits even though they have to. But apparently Josephine county (Grants Pass) is much easier.

Check out Poogsdad's post about it http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...ident-ccw.html
Taurus PT 145
Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Sheriff of Multunomah County (Portland) is not nearly so pro-issue of non-resident permits
Portland. AKA North SF
Old 06-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Senior Member AKA: 3BZ

I know...it just happens to be closest to where I'll be in WA. Bummer.

"From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was running." Forrest Gump
Old 06-04-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckoholic View Post
I actually decided due to time, that I am going to give Grants Pass a go. I have time to go to Grants Pass and back, but not to Canyon City and back. I don't get a day off very often. But yes you are right. Multnomah County is not a very good place to try getting a non-resident permit. They aren't even very positive about giving resident permits even though they have to. But apparently Josephine county (Grants Pass) is much easier.

Check out Poogsdad's post about it http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...ident-ccw.html
I had NO PROBLEM at all getting mine from the Josephine County sheriff in Grants Pass. OF course having all of my paperwork in order and offering them a copy of my California CCW permit helped too. Showed up in the mail in under 2 weeks. Makes going back and forth to Oregon to shop much simpler and hassle free.

A quiet man is a thinking man.
A quiet woman is usually mad.

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Old 06-04-2010, 07:20 AM

+1 for Josephine county. Very hassle free and very friendly.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:36 PM

I would be interested in going to Grants Pass and submitting an application. Online, their Sheriff's web page has the ccw. application form but it mentions being able to document six months of residency in the county.

Can anyone tell me if this is the form I need to fill out or do they have a different non-resident form for us out of state folks?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Medic View Post
I would be interested in going to Grants Pass and submitting an application. Online, their Sheriff's web page has the ccw. application form but it mentions being able to document six months of residency in the county.

Can anyone tell me if this is the form I need to fill out or do they have a different non-resident form for us out of state folks?
I just got back a while ago from applying at the Josephine county sheriffs office this morning. I got rained out of hauling logs today, so I decided to make use of the time, so I left my house at 4am, and was in Grants Pass by 9am. Spent a maximum of 10 minutes in the sheriff's office, and it was extremely easy, and they were very friendly and easy to work with, and acted like it was a common everyday occurance for non residents to apply, and in fact while I was there, a husband and wife from Washington were in there applying for their non-resident permits as well.
Yes that application they have online is the one you need to fill out. It lists everything you need to bring, except that it does not mention that in order to apply as a non-resident, you need to bring your letter to the sheriff explaining your reasons for wanting an Oregon CHL which does not need to be anything like the California good cause nonsense. I brought them a copy of my California, Nevada, and expired Oregon permits all on one page and they seemed to like that. Supposedly, if you have a California permit, they will pretty much automatically give you a non-resident permit.

Because I used to have an oregon permit, it did a couple things for me. One, I did not have to be fingerprinted because I was allready in their system. I wasn't expecting that. I made the check out to the Oregon State Police for $15 like the instructions say, but they ended up giving that back to me since I didn't have to be fingerprinted. The other thing my previous Oregon permit did for me, was stood in place of needing proof of NRA certified handgun training. The couple that was in there at the same time I was, because they did not previously have an Oregon permit, they had to bring proof of training, and apparently it didn't have some of the information on it that the sheriff's office wanted, so the lady told the couple that they needed to contact their NRA instructor, and get him to fax his certificate to the SO, that shows his instructor certification, and expiration date and things. So that is something to be mindful of. Just in case I was going to need it, I brought with me the certificate I got after completing my Nevada concealed carry class. But apparently, it wouldn't have satisfied the Josephine county SO's requirements, because all it had on it was the instructors name and signature. So that is one bit of information they don't tell you in the instructions.

Okay, so you need:
The application form filled out
Two pieces of ID - Your drivers license, and another states CCW works
$50 CASH for the Josephine SO because they do not take check or credit cards.
A check for $15 made out to the Oregon State Police
Your letter to the sheriff
A self addressed stamped envelope
and Proof of handgun training by an NRA certified instructor that has his credentials on it.

You go in there, and they take your paperwork, have you sign the spot on the application that has to be signed in their presence, they take your money, do your fingerprints, take your picture, and tell you "Okay, it will be 1 or 2 weeks and you should get your permit in the mail". Not "We'll see what the sheriff thinks" or anything like that. Just rather matter of factly "1 or 2 weeks and you should get it". ha ha HUGE difference from what I dealt with back in 2003 trying to get my non-resident permit from the Yamhill county sheriffs office who acted like I was talking total nonsense when I said I wanted to get a non-resident permit. "Oh no, you have to be a resident of Oregon". Finally my letter to the Yamhill county sheriff got me the permit, but it was not easy. Josephine county could not have been any easier! Guess we'll see if I actually get it now though. ha ha
Taurus PT 145

Last edited by Truckoholic : 06-04-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Founding Member

Sounds easy and more than fair. Great report.

spc
"The difference between someone on the left and us, is we instinctively understand this through common sense, education and intelligence -- while liberals have trust issues, control issues and view the world from fantasy land."

Old 06-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Senior Founding Member

This is an awesome report! My sister used to live in Eugene and I was going to get one as I visited her a lot up there. Getting information on it was not the easiest. This is the best report I have seen!

Thanks!

I still might go for it next time I head up there. (this Fall for business which is an annual trip)
Old 06-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior Founding Member

How long are their CCWs valid for?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Senior Founding Member

BTW this should be moved to general CCW. Mods......