CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2010, 04:37 PM
kelleyj kelleyj is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fresno
Posts: 2
Default CCW Renewal in a different county than that of origination in California?

I'm currently a resident of Fresno County and have a valid CCW permit. I am seriously considering moving back to the San Jose area within the next month or two. My permit expires in December of this year. How hard would it be to get it renewed in Santa Clara County? (I know that getting a new one out there is impossible.)

Would it be better to get it renewed here prior to moving or is it even possible to renew early?

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Jeanette
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2010, 04:48 PM
rycerz's Avatar
rycerz rycerz is offline
Senior Founding Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City in central OC
Posts: 2,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyj View Post
I'm currently a resident of Fresno County and have a valid CCW permit. I am seriously considering moving back to the San Jose area within the next month or two. My permit expires in December of this year. How hard would it be to get it renewed in Santa Clara County? (I know that getting a new one out there is impossible.)

Would it be better to get it renewed here prior to moving or is it even possible to renew early?

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Jeanette
When you move to a different county you don't renew. You apply for a new one. If you renew where you're at and you move IIRC your permit is valid ONLY for 90 days (or is it 30?).
__________________
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWInstructor
If you do not carry a round chambered, you have a ammo storage device, not a gun.


Druid, reformed
Quote:
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
Drive? You low level IFR!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2010, 04:52 PM
kelleyj kelleyj is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fresno
Posts: 2
Default

crap. So my best bet for obtaining out in Santa Clara is to obtain a job where I need to carry prior to moving...?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 PM
rycerz's Avatar
rycerz rycerz is offline
Senior Founding Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City in central OC
Posts: 2,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyj View Post
crap. So my best bet for obtaining out in Santa Clara is to obtain a job where I need to carry prior to moving...?
Yup.
__________________
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWInstructor
If you do not carry a round chambered, you have a ammo storage device, not a gun.


Druid, reformed
Quote:
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
Drive? You low level IFR!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2010, 05:10 PM
El Gato's Avatar
El Gato El Gato is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 2,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyj View Post
crap. So my best bet for obtaining out in Santa Clara is to obtain a job where I need to carry prior to moving...?
and good luck with that...

check this out....

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/...uances2007.pdf

Fresno sounding better all the time?
even in summer?
__________________
"Under the table Greebo sat and washed himself. Occasionally he burped.
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat."


"Greebo turned upon Granny Weatherwax a yellow-eyed stare of self-satisfied malevolence, such as cats always reserve for people who don't like them, and purred. Greebo was possibly the only cat who could snigger in purr"

Greebo the Cat - Terry Pratchett "Witches Abroad"
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Quietpi's Avatar
Quietpi Quietpi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stanislaus County
Posts: 1,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyj View Post
crap. So my best bet for obtaining out in Santa Clara is to obtain a job where I need to carry prior to moving...?
Not sure what you mean by that. For all practical purposes, where you live, and not where you work, determines the jurisdiction where you have to apply for your permit.

Having a job requiring a CCW will generally not help. And in some jurisdictions it will be a guaranteed no-go.

So - live where you can get the permit, and don't make your job part of your GC. You can commute to Santa Clara if you want to.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2010, 07:33 PM
CCWInstructor's Avatar
CCWInstructor CCWInstructor is offline
Senior Founding Member & Social Director
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 9,737
Default

Please review 12050 and read this:

(4) (A) The licensee shall notify the licensing authority in
writing within 10 days of any change in the licensee's place of
residence.


That means if you renew and move to Santa Clara, you give up your Fresno CCW in 10 days. They may Change it to a out of county for a max of 90 days.
__________________
"A kind word only goes so far, a kind word and a gun goes a lot further" Al Capone 1924

Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! ģ Copyrighted 1996

Amateurs Talk Hardware (Guns)

Professionals Talk Software (Training)

greg@firearmstraining.com

Oh Yeah! "Piss On Golf! Waste of a good range." Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman (Ret.) 1998
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 PM
El Gato's Avatar
El Gato El Gato is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 2,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWInstructor View Post
Please review 12050 and read this:

(4) (A) The licensee shall notify the licensing authority in
writing within 10 days of any change in the licensee's place of
residence.


That means if you renew and move to Santa Clara, you give up your Fresno CCW in 10 days. They may Change it to a out of county for a max of 90 days.
what he said...
__________________
"Under the table Greebo sat and washed himself. Occasionally he burped.
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat."


"Greebo turned upon Granny Weatherwax a yellow-eyed stare of self-satisfied malevolence, such as cats always reserve for people who don't like them, and purred. Greebo was possibly the only cat who could snigger in purr"

Greebo the Cat - Terry Pratchett "Witches Abroad"
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2010, 10:43 PM
paul0660's Avatar
paul0660 paul0660 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ukiah
Posts: 486
Default

Nope. Notify within 10 days, and it is good for 90 days after you move.

Quote:
(4) (A) The licensee shall notify the licensing authority in
writing within 10 days of any change in the licensee's place of
residence.
(B) If the license is one to carry concealed a pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, then it
may not be revoked solely because the licensee changes his or her
place of residence to another county if the licensee has not breached
any conditions or restrictions set forth in the license and has not
become prohibited by state or federal law from possessing, receiving,
owning, or purchasing a firearm. However, any license issued
pursuant to subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) of subdivision
(a) shall expire 90 days after the licensee moves from the county of
issuance if the licensee's place of residence was the basis for
issuance of the license.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2010, 05:01 PM
paul0660's Avatar
paul0660 paul0660 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ukiah
Posts: 486
Default

The reason for the 90 days, of course, is so that you can get permitted by your new Sheriff or Chief of Police...........................in a nearly perfect world that is.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Keith92555's Avatar
Keith92555 Keith92555 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moreno Valley
Posts: 4,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
The reason for the 90 days, of course, is so that you can get permitted by your new Sheriff or Chief of Police...........................in a nearly perfect world that is.
Yeah, I don't think getting a new one in Santa Clara County is gonna be as easy as Fresno.
__________________
You never really NEED a gun until you REALLY need a gun...W. E. B. Griffin.

When I carry a gun, I donít do so because I am looking for a fight, but because Iím looking to be left alone...Marko Kloos

NRA Distinguished Life Member
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC8
©2007-2010 CalCCW.com