CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 AM

Default CCW Application in Ventura County

First off, I have yet to post on here, but I frequently read this forum for CCW stories and other info. Everywhere I look I have not been able to find any info on likelihood of issuance in Ventura county within the last 4 years. I posted this on Calguns, so far to no avail:

So I've searched to the best of my ability, both here, and on other CCW forums and have not found any info on CURRENT level of difficulty to obtain a CCW in Ventura County. I'm looking to start my application process in two months and would like to ask for ANY advice, tips, or applicable information. I know next to nothing about what I need to do other than the interviews and training/qualification courses. I have a clean record other than a cleared speeding ticket from a few years back, that's about it. Also, will being in the Military help? If you yourself have obtained one in Ventura, I'd greatly appreciate a PM or an email, so I don't have to advertise certain personal info to the whole community. Thanks in advance, you've all been helpful with everything I've asked in the past.

My email is my account name @yahoo.com. Thank you.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Thinks he's safe.

I have a Ventura County issued CCW permit. Ventura is pretty fair on issuance but you MUST HAVE sufficient "good cause" or you will be denied. Ordinary people get CCW's here so you don't have to "be connected" to get one. Good cause is anything that makes you a more specific target for serious bodily injury or death than the general public. This means it's dependent upon your individual circumstances. Which is why you don't find much info on what it takes to get a CCW anywhere here or elsewhere on the 'net. It's just too specific to the person.

Per the rules of the forum, posting your GC statement is not allowed (so don't do it). Instead, shoot a PM to one of the mods with "GC statement" in the header and include your GC statement. They will review it and give you tips to help you. Might even make you an official Nacho Inspector if you're nice to them.

Be aware that VC is slow to issue. It takes nearly forever before you are granted your interview. Then it takes another short eon before they mail your rice paper. The slow processing time is probably so that they can check out who is applying and see if they are a sham applicant who really lives in LA County with a phony VC address. It's been tried before by some so they are aware of this.

Call Maria at licensing and ask her for an application to be mailed to you. Or you can go to the SO's office at the government center and pick one up (at the licensing division window behind the interior glass doors- not the public info desk/counter in the lobby). She's a very nice person and you will be dealing with her if you are successful.

Last edited by Rob P. : 01-05-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:06 PM
SB Member

Welcome Soldier. Looks like you got some expert advice. Hope it helps you. Welcome, best of luck and thanks for serving our country.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Founding Member

Welcome aboard and thanks for your service. Being military is not usually helpful but you can mention it. As said above VC does take its time to issue but they do issue as we have several permit holders from that county.

spc
"The difference between someone on the left and us, is we instinctively understand this through common sense, education and intelligence -- while liberals have trust issues, control issues and view the world from fantasy land."

Old 01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Member, Eugene the Jeep

Welcome and best of luck getting a permit.

Society is safer when criminals don't know who's armed.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Founding Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier07110 View Post
First off, I have yet to post on here, but I frequently read this forum for CCW stories and other info. Everywhere I look I have not been able to find any info on likelihood of issuance in Ventura county within the last 4 years. I posted this on Calguns, so far to no avail:

So I've searched to the best of my ability, both here, and on other CCW forums and have not found any info on CURRENT level of difficulty to obtain a CCW in Ventura County. I'm looking to start my application process in two months and would like to ask for ANY advice, tips, or applicable information. I know next to nothing about what I need to do other than the interviews and training/qualification courses. I have a clean record other than a cleared speeding ticket from a few years back, that's about it. Also, will being in the Military help? If you yourself have obtained one in Ventura, I'd greatly appreciate a PM or an email, so I don't have to advertise certain personal info to the whole community. Thanks in advance, you've all been helpful with everything I've asked in the past.

My email is my account name @yahoo.com. Thank you.
Welcome Soldier07110.

I’m not sure what you consider “current” information. Using the search feature I found the following:

This thread has information on the process in Ventura that was posted as recently as three weeks ago (see the posts by 10 Nines and Jericho Girl) :
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/getting...-county-2.html

These two threads have information from October, 2009:
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/new-mem...r-ventura.html
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...tml#post162343

This thread has information from August, 2009:
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...interview.html

This thread has information from July, 2009:
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...view-date.html

Here’s a thread that details the whole process one member went through on her CCW renewal. It starts in July and runs through December, 2009:
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...w-renewal.html

Let's eat Grandma.
Let's eat, Grandma.
- Commas save lives.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Excellent info, Thanks for taking the time, everyone. Much appreciated.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM

It seems like they are pretty slow to get things done there. IIRC it took JerichoGirl about 4 months JUST TO RENEW! Get started ASAP if you want to get the permit this year, and even then...

Thanks for your service soldier and welcome to the forum.

Keith

When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone...Marko Kloos

NRA Distinguished Life Member
Old 01-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Founding Member

Thanks, Rob P. for jumping in.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith92555 View Post
It seems like they are pretty slow to get things done there. IIRC it took JerichoGirl about 4 months JUST TO RENEW! Get started ASAP if you want to get the permit this year, and even then...

Thanks for your service soldier and welcome to the forum.

Keith
I dont get why the board doesnt ban together and start suing departments over this, the law clearly states that they have 90 days to issue and if they fail to meet the 90 days then they SHALL issue one. People need to start looking into this.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobandit View Post
I dont get why the board doesnt ban together and start suing departments over this, the law clearly states that they have 90 days to issue and if they fail to meet the 90 days then they SHALL issue one. People need to start looking into this.
The exact statute is:
12052.5. The licensing authority shall give written notice to the
applicant indicating if the license is approved or denied within 90
days of the initial application for a new license or a license
renewal or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal
background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later.

Unfortunately, there are no reprocussions for not following this Penal Code. There also isn't anything that legislates when an agency must perform the background check. There is nothing in the statutes which indicate that failure to meet these deadlines that a permit must be issued (As is the case in many other states)
Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 AM

I applied in VC around August/September 09 and have not heard anything yet. I have not called and checked status. I have heard no news is good news in VC. We are getting a new sherrif this year, so don't delay. I will update the site when I hear something.

Soldier-Thank you for your service,I appreciate you.

Has anyone recently applied in Ventura County and have any updates?

Regards
Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Alright, well I recently received a response on CG, a gentleman who had received a recent CCW permit in VC. He said the current Sherrif is pro CCW and will issue if you have a valid good cause statement. He also brought to my attention that it's a good idea to submit a good list of references, which made me think of resources and friends I would not have in the first place; former and current LEO's, military, etc... So it seems to be quite doable, I see no need to be discouraged.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Welcome, and good luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Thinks he's safe.

deleted