CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > General CCW Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM

Default How to: Shipping a Firearm with UPS/FedEx

could some of you give me some pointers on how to ship a firearm?

I'm shipping my Glock 23 to Robar to get the np3 coating on the slide and internals of the frame.

They told me to UPS/FedEx overnight or 2 day.

what would be the best way of doing this? walking in with the firearm in a soft square case and have them packing it for me? what about when they ask me what it is I am shipping, I don't want some punk 17yo kid knowing that im dropping off a firearm that he will hold for me for several hours until it get shipped out.... or am I being paranoid? this is my FIRST time shipping OUT a firearm, usually i get them shipped in

BTW Robar is having 15% off sale in case you were wondering
Old 09-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Skating On Thin Ice

Maybe if you ship in 2 separate packages, then it's just "parts." I do know they don't want you shipping fully assembled firearms from satellite locations like Staples or Kinkos. I once UPS'd a complete AR upper (not a firearm) from Staples...I used the description "rifle barrel." Keep us updated.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
SB Member

Without actually looking it up.... if I remember correctly, all handguns need to be shipped from an FFL to an FFL.

As far as the shippers.... UPS and FedEx now want long guns shipped through an FFL as well. USPS will ship a long gun from a private party as long as you follow proper protocol and declare it etc.

Again... this is based on my memory... but I believe it to be accurate.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Scott~ View Post
Without actually looking it up.... if I remember correctly, all handguns need to be shipped from an FFL to an FFL.

As far as the shippers.... UPS and FedEx now want long guns shipped through an FFL as well. USPS will ship a long gun from a private party as long as you follow proper protocol and declare it etc.

Again... this is based on my memory... but I believe it to be accurate.
The requirement on going thru an FFL is correct
and notice more than you realize.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American
Indian." ~ Henry Ford

Old 09-22-2009, 01:15 PM

What I would probably do is to disassemble the handgun and only send the parts necessary if this information is known. At the least if the firing pin is not needed then you could remove that and keep it at home so if someone gets hold of your handgun they would not be able to use it.

See below for UPS instructions.

UPS: Shipping Firearms

Shipping Firearms

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
Firearms, including handguns, and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally
Ammunition may be accepted for shipment internationally provided it is shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping International Goods.
UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Follow These Packing Requirements
Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS.
Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials, or the UPS Guide for Shipping International Dangerous Goods.
Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.

About Documentation and Labeling
The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.
See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.
American Legion
VFW

$

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEBUNT
Old 09-22-2009, 01:15 PM

I shipped my PPK back for a recall repair and walked into FedEx with a soft bag.( Walther had sent me a free shipping label.) The guy simply put it in a box, sealed it and labeled it. No fuss at all. They probably run into this more often than you think. Walther also insured the package. Don't worry so much and be sure you insure it.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:29 PM

This may help:

Shipping firearms to Handgun Repair Shop
"We therefore hold that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment right recognized in Heller. The judgment of the Court of Appeals is reversed, and the case is remanded for further proceedings.
It is so ordered." (McDonald p. 44,45 - SCOTUS No. 08–1521. Argued March 2, 2010—Decided June 28, 2010)
Quote:
"Those who built on the wall, and those who carried burdens, loaded themselves so that with one hand they worked at construction, and with the other held a weapon." - Nehemiah 4:17
Old 09-22-2009, 01:59 PM
SB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36 Steve View Post
That's the page that I had gleaned the info from.... I just couldn't remember where it was! It has nice links to each shippers terms and congitions or policies page for shipping firearms.

Now I bookmark it... Thanks Steve!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:31 PM

If you ship UPS.....It must be declared as a firearm and shipped "Next Day Air".......

Old 09-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom98915 View Post
No it is not.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Senior Founding Member

If plating is all Robbie is doing for you why don't you disassemble the gun and ship him all the parts minus frame? Takes 2 minutes and safes you money.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
f plating is all Robbie is doing for you why don't you disassemble the gun and ship him all the parts minus frame? Takes 2 minutes and safes you money.
Good idea, only the frame is the "gun".

Here is the best stuff on shipping I have seen: http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

There are certain times when shipping a gun has to be FFL to FFL but not very often. One GOOD reason to ship thru an FFL is that they can send handguns through the mail much less expensively than the overnight common carriers can. Individuals have to use the overnight common carrier for handguns but can send long guns through the mail.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock32 View Post
If plating is all Robbie is doing for you why don't you disassemble the gun and ship him all the parts minus frame? Takes 2 minutes and safes you money.
i would feel safer if he broke her down and put her back. im weird like that i guess.

I will box and pack it at my place, then have UPS ship it out from one of their places that will ship firearms.

Last edited by RedMongoosE : 09-22-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Founding Member

Some FedEx that are really Kinkos will not ship guns.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Senior Founding Member & Social Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom98915 View Post
Exception is for repair etc.

Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! ® Copyrighted 1996

Amateurs Talk Hardware (Guns)

Professionals Talk Software (Training)

greg@firearmstraining.com

Oh Yeah! "Piss On Golf! Waste of a good range." Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman (Ret.) 1998