Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > CCW Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CCW Accessories Lights, knives and other CCW related Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 PM
SB Member

Default Sportsman Steel Safes???

Hello,
I am thinking about getting a sportsman steel safe and was curious as to if anyone owns one? If so, are they good? I am just curious because it seems like a really good price for the features offered.

There web-site is...
Gun Safe, and Gun Safes by Sportsman Steel Gun Safe Company

I tried doing a search on this site... but could not find anything.

Are there any better safes out there (within same price)? I just want thick steel for theft prevention... fire protection is not that important.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:42 AM

I do not have this maker. They look nice and safes are a good investment for keeping your guns from crooks. The 10 gauge body is a little wimpy but you can upgrade on some to 1/4". There are a lot of styles out in the market and each one claims they are the best. The fire ratings are hard to compare as the test are not very standardized. I researched safes before I bought and found my head spinning. After I took time and looked at what was offered I bought a safe from
Gun Safes : Fire Safe Manufacturer : Sturdy Gun Safe
I did not want the glamor and pretty paint as it was not for show I wanted a mechanically secure gun safe. Sturdy is in Fresno, CA and when I spoke to the owner he was very helpful and guided me with my choice. I was impress with the design. I like the fire blanket instead of fire board and the heavy outer metal. Keep checking and you will find what fits your need.

jerry
Old 05-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Senior Founding Member

I bought a fairly large one from Sportsman Steel Safes, they are total flakes to deal with, one of the worst experiences ever. Deliver times shifted, then totally slipped, causing me to waste my day waiting, promised features never were delivered, even though I paid for them--I actually had to dispute some charges on my VISA card, to get the extras removed (they were not delivered, why pay for them). Total jerks. The interior wiring for lighting consisted of wires TWISTED together, no wire nuts or crimped connectors, had to rewire the lights myself, since they did not even work.

You have been warned.

BTW, I called that other company mentioned above, (Sturdy Safes), I liked them a lot, they will get my business on my next safe--they seem to know their business and gave me straight answers.

Last edited by sealbeach : 05-17-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
SB Member

Thanks guys for the answers. With a company like that how do you even truly know how much steel is being used??? Truly appreciate it.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM

I have a Sportsman Steel safe. It's a nice safe. If you get one from them get one already made and on the floor ready to sell. If you order one it will probably take 3 to 4 times longer to get then what they will tell you! They had a floor model that I bought and had them make a couple of cosmetic changes to it (changed piping, locks, and spindle from silver to gold). It took them 6 weeks and 3 trips down there to get it! I have 5 friends that bought from them before I did and they all had the same problems. They didn't tell me about it until after the fact.
If you are willing to wait they are nice safes.
CRPA Life Member
What Would Reagan Do?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:56 PM
SB Member

Thanks again for all the replys.

So it seems like Sportsmans makes a good safe all in all? But all in all their management and customer service sucks?

The biggest problem I am having right now is the fact that this company has been in business for 31 years but I have yet to find one positive (or even neutral)[except for one... see below... but seems to be written by sportsmans lol] third-party review on their safes! Most other safes have some sort of third-party review like Fort Knox or Liberty (I do not want a liberty... complete junk security wise). The only thing I do find is a couple of serious complaints about product quality and a lot of complaints about how poor their customer service is. Including one complaint that claimed the safe was actually made in china (one of sportsmans huge selling points is that they are American made safes) Sportsman Steel Safe Company - Pentagon Safes | Rip-off Report: 505204

Don't get me wrong... I would love to have a Graffunder, Brown or a top of the line Fort Knox... but price is a huge factor. Right now it seems that it is between Sturdy and Sportsmans since they are the only ones that have at least a 7 ga body or thicker. To be honest the claimed features of the sportsmans are most certainly better than sturdy (especially at the price) but I am starting to wonder.

Also it seems that both sportsmans and sturdy are not UL rated? But both can be found on BBB (sportsmans paid to be a member and sturdy did not) where sportsmans 2 complains in the past 3 years giving a grade of A- and sturdy has no complaints.

Also... one last thing that makes me wonder about sportsmans is the fact that they seem to have numerous different web-sites (Gun Safe, and Gun Safes by Sportsman Steel Gun Safe Company Sales and Showroom - Sportsman Steel Safes Sportsman Steel Safes About Sportsman Steel Safes Gun Safes by Pentagon Gun Safe Company) why have so many different web-sites? And at least 2 different company names? Also, the one positive article that had things to say about sportsmans seems to be clearly writen by sportsmans which can be found at Gun Safe Survey just read the last few paragraphs mixxed in with some of the stuff above you will see what I mean.

Last edited by EMS_NC : 05-17-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:13 PM
SB Member

I also forgot... Sportsmans claims to sell to all these all high-profile people and agencies such as the Secret Service, FBI, military, Smithsonian and CIA to name a few. How in the heck am I am suppose to confirm something like this? For all I know he made it up and just put it on their web-site. I guess I could call some of these agencies and companies that he claims to sold to but that would be an weird call, "umm hello, did you purchase a sportmans steel safe?"
Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 PM

Remember that the government buys from the lowest bidder.

jerry
Old 05-18-2011, 10:23 AM

Considered them also until I checked their BBB rating BBB Business Review of Sportsman Steel Gun Safe Company - Gun Safes Retail - Long Beach, CA.
8 complaints in the last 36 mo, it looks like they took care of the problem once the BBB contacted them. Not so bad right now but 3 years ago they had lots of complaints and I choose to go another route.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS_NC View Post
I also forgot... Sportsmans claims to sell to all these all high-profile people and agencies such as the Secret Service, FBI, military, Smithsonian and CIA to name a few. How in the heck am I am suppose to confirm something like this? For all I know he made it up and just put it on their web-site. I guess I could call some of these agencies and companies that he claims to sold to but that would be an weird call, "umm hello, did you purchase a sportmans steel safe?"
I actually believe this, they had some HUGE safes they were working on, they said for various Law Enforcement agencies, which might explain why they didn't give a damn about my piddly little order, and treated me like crap.

As far as Sturdy Safes go, I called them a few times about my next safe, the owner is the fabricator and his daughter does the website, they seem like real nice people and he knows his stuff about metal fabrication. They are getting my next purchase. ...but then, with a new safe, I will have to buy more guns, and pretty soon it too will be full...<sigh>