CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Carry Guns & Ammo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Carry Guns & Ammo Where to talk about what you carry and why.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Founding Member

Default Steel Frame VS Aluminum

I'm considering a commander size 1911. Seems that most or many are aluminum frames. I believe the Springfield Champion can be purchased in stainless. Can anyone tell me if there are advantages to the steel? I would think there would be less wear, less effects of stress on the frame etc., but I know the Tupperware frames hold up well so it may not even be an issue.

Any Metallurgists out there?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Drama View Post
I'm considering a commander size 1911. Seems that most or many are aluminum frames. I believe the Springfield Champion can be purchased in stainless. Can anyone tell me if there are advantages to the steel? I would think there would be less wear, less effects of stress on the frame etc., but I know the Tupperware frames hold up well so it may not even be an issue.

Any Metallurgists out there?
I like steel. I bought a Kimber in Steel (Commander frame) rather then aluminum and it does not weight that much more (after you figure ammo, the weight difference is negligeable). Anyways, even though aluminum is supposed to be good and last a while the line about no wear till about 20~30K rounds kind of scares me. My guns go to the range with me and get shot every time... so the 20~30K is not going ot take that long (Couple years) and I like to hang on to my stuff for a while.
If you do not carry a round chambered, you have a ammo storage device, not a gun.

Druid, reformed
Quote:
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
Drive? You low level IFR!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I want to have your baby!

Not to argue with the pol, but....

I have a steel Colt Commander and Kimber Pro CDP II (alum). The compared weight may not be much, but when you put them on, i think there is a big difference. However, part of that is due to the fact that i have no butt to hold my drawers up and a heavy gun, well, lets just say that i'm still trying to finish up the community service time.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
Not to argue with the pol, but....

I have a steel Colt Commander and Kimber Pro CDP II (alum). The compared weight may not be much, but when you put them on, i think there is a big difference. However, part of that is due to the fact that i have no butt to hold my drawers up and a heavy gun, well, lets just say that i'm still trying to finish up the community service time.
Actually there are couple things there:
1. there is a 1 round weight difference between the two
2. there is a grip difference of about 1 round height
3. there is a 1" difference in slide and barrel

So you can't really compare the two.
If you do not carry a round chambered, you have a ammo storage device, not a gun.

Druid, reformed
Quote:
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
Drive? You low level IFR!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Founding Member & Social Director

You get about the same rounds out of the new alloy vs. steel frames. HK (P-9) has been using plastic a lot longer than Glock. The hold up fine.

We have come a long since Colt introduced the "LW" in commander style. That has a life expectency of 10,000 rounds.

Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! Copyrighted 1996

Amateurs Talk Hardware (Guns)

Professionals Talk Software (Training)

greg@firearmstraining.com

Oh Yeah! "Piss On Golf! Waste of a good range." Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman (Ret.) 1998
Old 05-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycerz View Post
I like steel. I bought a Kimber in Steel (Commander frame) rather then aluminum and it does not weight that much more (after you figure ammo, the weight difference is negligeable). Anyways, even though aluminum is supposed to be good and last a while the line about no wear till about 20~30K rounds kind of scares me. My guns go to the range with me and get shot every time... so the 20~30K is not going ot take that long (Couple years) and I like to hang on to my stuff for a while.
+1 on the steel vs. alum. I personally like steel guns, either stainless or plain steel, they do hold up a little better on some wear areas, and i actually like the weight, it seems to help when shooting a lot in terms of accuracy and reducing recoil. I do not want to bag on alum alloy guns, the metals now are excellent, and if light weight is a major concern, then do not hesitate to get the alloy guns. My attitude may change on this issue in the future, but at present i carry a full size 1911, Kimber Custom II, i like the solid feel, i can shoot it all day with little fatigue, it is accurate and i can use it to pound in nails if needed, its one tough gun.

Sometimes people are striving for an really light, small gun, which still has the solid feel and accuracy of a full size, this is amost a physical impossibility...the Kimber Ultra Compacts are very good, but i still prefer the full size steel gun.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Senior Founding Member

I would expect the weight difference between a Commander and a Combat Commander to be 9 oz.

Why not buy both?

Last edited by Glock32 : 05-10-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Senior Founding Member & Social Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock32 View Post
Why not buy both?
I did, didn't you? I also have steel frame Ultra's and the Alloy ones too.

Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! Copyrighted 1996

Amateurs Talk Hardware (Guns)

Professionals Talk Software (Training)

greg@firearmstraining.com

Oh Yeah! "Piss On Golf! Waste of a good range." Lt. Colonel Dave Grossman (Ret.) 1998
Old 05-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWInstructor View Post
I did, didn't you? I also have steel frame Ultra's and the Alloy ones too.
Of course I did. Most of mine are steel, but I have Alu, too. What I really want is Titanium...just for giggles.