CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Carry Guns & Ammo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Carry Guns & Ammo Where to talk about what you carry and why.

View Poll Results: Upgrade/Modify a CCW?
Do it, do it Now! 2 20.00%
Do NOT do it! 2 20.00%
Meh, really not an issue. 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:42 PM

Default Modify/Upgrade a CCW-Good, Bad or Ugly?

I have an Auto Ordnance 1911 that I absolutely love and will eventually, hopefully be my premier CCW. There's not much I'd change about the gun, other then the trigger (quite a heavy trigger pull).

Is it NOT a good idea to modify/upgrade your CCW? Why or why not? I've read that some are hesitant to do so IF they ever had to use it for personal defense and ultimately litigation.

I can leave well enough alone, but would like to do some small upgrades to my 1911.

Thanks in advance!
AoM
Old 06-10-2013, 04:32 AM

These are the facts:

* The penal code is silent regarding modifying self defense guns or ccw guns.
* Some issuing agency might prohibit gun modification. Double check with them.
* There is no known court case where a legally "modified" gun was brought up during trial yet (as long as the gun is in a legal configuration), civil or criminal court.

*** edit ***
think of it this way, lets say in a non ccw case, involving a home self defense shooting, how would any prosecutor go after someone that either has a custom/home made AR or a custom/home made 1911. How would the prosecutor present a case that the weapon was "modified" if it was built from the ground up and not manufactured as a package by any company?

Last edited by Sir Stunna Lot : 06-10-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:46 AM

Good info Stunna,

If I was to do any upgrades, they would be minimal. I'm thinking no more than a few changed parts. I wouldn't even know how to build a gun from scratch, let alone much of the internal trigger/mechanism work. I did adjust my extractor, and was pretty proud of myself as a novice for doing that successfully!

I'll double check with the SO as I go through the process.

Thank you
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofMike View Post
I have an Auto Ordnance 1911 that I absolutely love and will eventually, hopefully be my premier CCW. There's not much I'd change about the gun, other then the trigger (quite a heavy trigger pull).

Is it NOT a good idea to modify/upgrade your CCW? Why or why not? I've read that some are hesitant to do so IF they ever had to use it for personal defense and ultimately litigation.

I can leave well enough alone, but would like to do some small upgrades to my 1911.

Thanks in advance!
AoM
I had a Auto Ordinance 1911 once. It's a great gun to "build". By build I mean have a reputable 1911 gunsmith who specializes in combat tuning 1911s do a service trigger job (5 lbs. pull with reduced creep and over-travel), perhaps do a little polishing on the feed ramp, lower the ejection port and fit a barrel bushing for you. You might consider upgrading to some night sights and adding some combat grips like Houge finger grooves.
If done correctly, by a reputable 1911 gunsmith these mods will improve accuracy and provide a more dependable service weapon than a factory stock Auto Ordinance.
"We therefore hold that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment right recognized in Heller. The judgment of the Court of Appeals is reversed, and the case is remanded for further proceedings.
It is so ordered." (McDonald p. 44,45 - SCOTUS No. 08–1521. Argued March 2, 2010—Decided June 28, 2010)
Quote:
"Those who built on the wall, and those who carried burdens, loaded themselves so that with one hand they worked at construction, and with the other held a weapon." - Nehemiah 4:17
Old 06-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Thinks he's safe.

I know of no case where a firearm was modified and that such modification made any difference in the outcome of the case.

It's an old wives tale.

TRUCKS can TRAVEL near AND far
ROOT VEGETABLES are SHIPPED on LORRIES
ROADS are HARD and DUSTY
GRAVITY affects ALL things
TIME is ONLY a MATHEMATICAL theory.

Licensed California Attorney at Law
California CCW permit holder
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Ventura County "approved list" CCW Instructor

Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 PM

Good question.

There are also lot of stories out there about not using reloads, keeping the factory box that your self defense ammo came in so if you get sued, they can go after the manufacturer who has deeper pockets, etc. about the devastating wounds or death you and your gun caused.

With the litigious society out there, I would be inclined to keep everything internal as stock as possible. While you may be able to get off a criminal charge which requires a full jury to convict, civil suits only require a majority.

Having served on juries in several civil suits in California, there are some real idiots out there into whose hands you could be putting your fate into. Some of these attorneys suing also flew in 'experts' from all over the country paying them thousand of dollars to present their side of the case. You mentioned lightened, tuned, or modified trigger/hammer to a liberal and who knows what they will think? The proverbial hair trigger of the gunfighters?

All the guns I put on my CCW are stock, except for the grips on the revolver. Even the Browning HP where the #1 mod is to remove the magazine safety to improve the trigger hasn't been done.

Has anyone been sued for tuning a gun and using it? Don't know. Could it happen? Maybe.

Just my thoughts. I'm sure there are many who would disagree.