CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Carry Guns & Ammo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Carry Guns & Ammo Where to talk about what you carry and why.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 PM

Default HK USP40 Compact V7

Any thoughts on ability to conceal carry this H&K model? I'm new to this site. I'm looking into purchasing a .40 cal pistol for California CCW. I'm not sure I can even purchase this model in California as I didn't see it on the DOJ list.
Version 7 has the LEM and no external safety.

Is it a requirement to have a "safety selector" on a CCW pistol?

I'm leaning toward purchasing a HK USP40 Compact V7. Any thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
This is my duty weapon at work, but SOP says I can't carry it outside of my environment. Hence the need to purchase my own.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 PM

I'm not familiar with H&K firearms, but it seems to me that what you're looking at is the same as the USP40C-LEM listed on the DOJ Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale. If so, you can buy one new. Even if that's not the same you could still acquire one through private party transfer. In either case there is nothing stopping you from putting it on a CCW permit.

"“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” Isaac Asimov

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” -- Rudyard Kipling.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 PM

Thanks tailslide. I'm learning quite a bit from this site and those that have gone before me. Version 7 lacks the safety select lever located on the left rear of the slide. One less thing to select when the weapon is needed.
Wondering how many people carry with one in the chamber, or is it considered normal to carry with empty chamber assuming there would be time to rack one if needed. I'm sure ill learn more when I take my CCW class. Excuse my ignorance.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 AM

Keep in mind that HK trigger variations could almost make for a college level course. But the CA DOJ's Roster is kind enough to list what is legal and what isn't. If you look at the Roster, you'll see "V1, V2, etc" listed with the HK model number.

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Just go to the box in the middle of the page, select sort by: make, and use the pull down to get to HK.

Of course, there are legal ways to pursue an off roster handgun, but that is complex and would open up a can of worms I won't get into.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no requirement for an additional safety lever. I regularly carry an HK P2000 SK with a LEM trigger that has no other safety "lever" and I also have two DAK SIGs on my permit that don't have additional safeties.

As for what you can effective conceal, well we are all built differently and have different requirements for how we have to dress, etc. But I think it's safe to say that an awful lot of carry permit holders all across the Country regularly carry pistols in the same size category as the HK you are looking at.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walden View Post
Wondering how many people carry with one in the chamber, or is it considered normal to carry with empty chamber assuming there would be time to rack one if needed.
Everyone who heeds good advice carries with a loaded chamber. Just be careful that nothing touches the trigger when holstering and you'll have no problem, but you will be ready.

A gun without a round in the chamber is just a paperweight. Maybe you could throw it at an assailant.

"“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” Isaac Asimov

“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” -- Rudyard Kipling.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Welcome! Always one in the chamber.....that's why a good holster is very important.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."

-George Washington
Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty FD View Post
Welcome! Always one in the chamber.....that's why a good holster is very important.
Thanks everyone. I agree with the above quote. I doubt the bad guy is going to have much patience while I say, "excuse me while I trip this little safety lever and chamber a round... ok, I'm ready now."

I'm still wanting to purchase an HK. The USP Compact fits my hand just right and I am very comfortable with it. However, a smaller frame or shorter barrel may be better for CCW. Can't have it all in one pistol I guess. I'll look at the P2000. If I can get the LEM trigger with no external safety I'll be happy.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM

Found this VERY helpful FAQ discussing P2000sk vs. USPc

MueveloNYC's HK P2000/sk FAQ

Now, I just need to get to a dealer to do a side by side comparison. I should declare that I have no interest in promoting H&K products and do not profit from sales. I am a private citizen with no ties to HK. I just think they have a nice reliable product.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 AM

I own and carry the HK40c and my wife owns the P2000.

I also have the HK USP full size .45 but it's too big to carry.

HK Quality is outstanding. The .40 compact is not as thin or as light as a single stack custom shop Kimber 1911 but it does conceal well.

My wife’s P2000 doesn't have a safety. My .40 compact does. I like the safety even though I don't use it when I carry, but at times when I'm changing holsters, locking it up in the car safe I will use it.

Both have a small hammer stub. It's very important that you keep your thumb on the hammer anytime you holster or remove them. With a round in the pipe and no safety, it's the only way to know if anything is caught up and pushing on the trigger.

I have thousands of rounds through my .40c and I've never had a single malfunction, every single time it went boom.

Just enough weight to manage the recoil and it's easy to get back on the front sight.

A good gun belt and holster is a must for any carry weapon.

Let us know what you end up buying ! We require pictures.

Jeff Cooper once wrote, “If your pistol is not within reach as you are reading this, you haven’t learned the lessons we teach at Gunsite”

NRA Life Member
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
My wife’s P2000 doesn't have a safety.
Actually, it does. I know it seems picky, but internal safeties are part of every modern firearm - at least those on the DOJ list. Let's all remember to use the term "external safety" or "manual safety" when that's what we're referring to so some jackass anti-gun nut doesn't latch onto it.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailslide View Post
Actually, it does. I know it seems picky, but internal safeties are part of every modern firearm - at least those on the DOJ list. Let's all remember to use the term "external safety" or "manual safety" when that's what we're referring to so some jackass anti-gun nut doesn't latch onto it.
Tailside is correct, no external safety on the P2000. It does have a de-cocking button.

Jeff Cooper once wrote, “If your pistol is not within reach as you are reading this, you haven’t learned the lessons we teach at Gunsite”

NRA Life Member
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
+ 1

and welcome to the forum Walden

Disclosure is Bliss
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM

Wondering if the HK USP40 Compact magazines will work in the HK2000sk. Sure would be nice if I don't have to invest in more mags and ammo.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walden View Post
Wondering if the HK USP40 Compact magazines will work in the HK2000sk. Sure would be nice if I don't have to invest in more mags and ammo.
I suggest to read the owners manual on your weapon

Disclosure is Bliss
Old 01-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Sacrmaneto Member

Quote:
Everyone who heeds good advice carries with a loaded chamber. Just be careful that nothing touches the trigger when holstering and you'll have no problem, but you will be ready.

A gun without a round in the chamber is just a paperweight. Maybe you could throw it at an assailant.
I keep a round in the chamber in my .45, but I also keep it on half-cock safety. Pulling the trigger won't fire it, dropping it on the hammer won't fire it, you have to manually pull the hammer the rest of the way to make it functional. That and a grip safety work well for me.

Stick
USAF 1980 - 1984
CA, AZ, FL, and UT