CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Carry Guns & Ammo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Carry Guns & Ammo Where to talk about what you carry and why.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 05:56 PM

Default Considering a LC9

I have a full size 1911, a Sig 229, and my wife's J-frame. I don't care much for the J-frame, and will probably opt for one of the bigger semi-autos when the occasion and my attire will allow for a combination of good concealment and quick access. But am looking at small 9s (not interested in 380s) for when concealment is the greater issue.

Read about several options, and filtering some of the "don't tick off the advertisers" reviews in some of the magazines, and reading feedback on various forums, the LC9 is looking pretty good. I was in one of my local shops today looking at one. The dimensions are good, it felt good in the hand, reasonable trigger pull (not stiff like the S&W, I'll have to get used to the long pull of a DA).

My size relative to frame or caliber size is immaterial as I can shoot itty-bitty guns or hand cannons with equal ease and comfort. My size might help with respect to carry options, i.e. at 6' 4"/240 lbs, I may be able to carry more gun in a pocket holster than someone a foot shorter and 100 lbs lighter might.

My criteria are 1) reliability (low misfire rate/high hit what you aim at rate), 2) ease of use, 3) concealability.

I'm wondering what other options are out there in that class that people are happy with and want to consider a wider selection before putting my money down.

Also, what might you expect to pay for an LC9 or whatever other option? The local shop is saying $450 cash ($475 credit card), but the Ruger website says $443. With my previous firearm purchases, I didn't think about checking the price vs msrp, but only against other local shops. Does the CA markup usually put it over msrp?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:00 PM

That price is high Turners had them for $379 all the time.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 PM

I was at Turners a week ago looking at the LC9 and they had a 25 person waiting list for the gun at that price.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:24 PM

I have looked at this gun in a few in local shops and all were asking $399. I really like the LC9 and did wonder if anyone here had any range time with one? Lots-o-good reviews on line...
Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapls2708 View Post
I'm wondering what other options are out there in that class that people are happy with and want to consider a wider selection before putting my money down.

Also, what might you expect to pay for an LC9 or whatever other option? The local shop is saying $450 cash ($475 credit card), but the Ruger website says $443. With my previous firearm purchases, I didn't think about checking the price vs msrp, but only against other local shops. Does the CA markup usually put it over msrp?

Thanks in advance.
I got my LC9 for $399 last April. Two months after it release. Last March, RCGE are not aware about that LC9 at first. I just told them that it was already available and its on CA. gun roster. Few weeks later, they have it already in stock and got one right away. The next few days, they're out of stock.
I love my LC9 as i prefer to have the 9mm than .380. But sometimes i have to stay out of LC9 as i need more concealment.
My LC9 is very reliable. No malfunction or anything after more than 1000 rounds (My wife and i shoot this a lot). I dont mind the long trigger full as it also act as a safety IMO.
I carry the LC9t in remora holster with the safety "OFF".
Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 PM
OC Member

Default Lc9

Put it on my permit at renewal, carry all the time OWB, no FTF's, ez to strip and clean, 30 second break down. Just pocket carried it (with pocket holster of course) 3800 miles round trip to Sturgis and back on my bike, forgot it was even there. Price: I think $379 at Turners. Great little gun, the trigger pull took me about 150 rounds to get it going but now it is a no brainer.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Untitled Peasantry, Blissful Anonymity

There are a number of things I don't like about this gu. First is the long trigger pull-especially for someone used to single actions. Second is the lack of a second strike capability; the slide must move back to fully cock the hammer, so if you have a misfire you have to rack the slide. Third id the junky way they put the take down mechanism together--lower a latch and push out an emminently loseable pin. Other than that, the size and weight are right, the profile very slim, the grip very grippy, nor have I heard any reliability issues. The balance is far better than the SR9c. There are a couple of other single nines that I would take over this handgun, but none are rostered.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 AM

I did a lot of research on the LC9 and everything I've found is positive. However I did come across several articles that say the recoil is a tad bit aggresive. Considering its a 9mm in a small handgun size I would expect that.

Unfortuneately I haven't shot one yet. I've been asking my firing range to put one up for a range rental but they haven't done that yet. They did put up a Bersa concealed carry 380 a few weeks back but now I'm waiting on the LC9. I intend on buying on of these for CC but not until I get to shoot both of them. Not sure if this helped with your questions but I hope it did at least a little bit. :-)
Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 AM

Good little gun for the money ($390 here) but here's some food for thought... it has a double reset trigger similar to the LCP. If you practice trapping the trigger with your other guns and using the reset on folow up shots the first position the trigger resets to will not allow you to fire the gun. You must let the trigger reset to the second position (back to the starting position) to fire a follow up shot. Not a big deal if you don't practice trapping the trigger but may be a problem if you do. Again, just food for thought.

WE DO NOT RISE TO THE OCCASION... WE FALL TO OUR LEVEL OF TRAINING.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Sounds mostly positive with a couple of little gun compromises. I expected that. As for the price, I can't see myself driving 8 hrs to Turners to save $70. RCGE isn't too far from work, but the opposite direction from home. The local shop is right on my way home. Maybe I can talk the local guy into tossing in a box of ammo to offset the $50 price difference. Everything else being (nearly) equal, I like to support local business.

The one thing I didn't like was something Aurelius mentioned, and that's the little pin involved with the takedown. Not only is it loseable, but you need some kind of little gizmo to push it out. Just another little gun compromise I'll learn to live with.

Thanks for the input, people.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Who said that the pin of LC9 is loseable? If you will check the design, the takedown plate was there to prevent the pin from moving out of its place. It need a little pressure to push it down.

I will say that takedown pin is an improvement design based on LCP. You don't have to worry of the pin being broke or flying out of the frame. All you have to do is slide downward the takedown plate and push the pin out.

Edit:Loseable, you means after it been remove? Well it depend on how you organize your stuff when disasembling your gun.

Last edited by s2pd l0v3 : 08-30-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM

How loseable that pin is may depend upon whether I let my 9 year old clean it or not.

I went ahead and put my $ down on the LC9, but not at the same local shop I started dealing with. The first one was going to come down to $450 from $475. The other shop came down to $395.

I bought my last 2 and did a transfer through the Newtown and bought this one from Mosquito Creek. Both shops will continue to get my business. I may buy my next one from Big Horn, they seem pretty decent there too.

Pick up day is the 13th, but I may not have an opportunity to shoot until the weekend. Range report and pictures to follow.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Pick up day is the 13th, but I may not have an opportunity to shoot until the weekend. Range report and pictures to follow.[/quote]

Congrats on the new purchase. Please let us know the good the bad and the ugly with the weapon. I really want one of those but I have to shoot one before I purchase one to see if its really something that works for me.
Looking forward to your review and congrats again.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 PM

It's a good gun for its price. If you don't mind the long trigger pull. I decided to use my LC9 as a replacement of my 1911 for summer. The long trigger pull for me is the safety i need. I don't use the thumb safety at all.
I even modify my silent thunder to fit both my 1911 (commander size) and LC9.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Picked it up and was able to get in a box of shooting with the last of daylight yesterday.

Dang, that trigger pull is looooooonnnnggg! I tried the normal squeeze on it, but couldn't get to the end without actually pulling. I had a reset target set up with 3" disks (gongs, whatever) at about 7 yards and was only hitting the disks about 1/3 of the time. I don't know if I'm going to be able to get used to this long DA.

Maybe I can help my wife convince herself that this is just the perfect gun for her, then I'll be "forced" go and get myself an XD(M) 3.8 for myself.

Edit: didn't have time yesterday to take pictures. I'll take care of it this weekend when I put a couple more boxes downrange to see if I can get used to this thing.