CalCCW  

Go Back   CalCCW > Concealed Carry in California > Carry Guns & Ammo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Carry Guns & Ammo Where to talk about what you carry and why.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM

Unhappy Glock 26 problems

Well, here's one...

I have a Glock 26 that I use for EDC due to it's size/weight. I have mixed feelings about the performance of the pistol.
I love the concealability and simplicity of design but it does require lots of practice and attention to basic technique to maintain accuracy at 50' for me.
Anyway, I had an unusual problem yesterday and was curious if this has happened to anyone else...I put the G26 in a lock box in my car to check into work.
When I returned to the car, I put G26 back in my holster (Kholster, love it!) and went about my day.
When I got home I took G26 out and upon inspection, I discovered to my surprise and dismay that the front sight was missing!!
Imagine if a worst case scenario went down, I had to defend my life, drew, and had no front sight!!!!
I have no idea how this happened or where the heck the site went.

1. Has this happened to anyone before???
2. Since I have to replace the front site anyway, any suggestions of a LOW COST alternative to a factory front site?
3. Can I get away with just getting the front site, or do I need front AND rear?

Thanks

You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you're going to do are: 1) Call someone with a gun. 2) Pray they get there in time. - Unknown

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior Founding Member

Go to Brownells (I am sure many others too) and look for front sights:

Novak Glock Front Sights

The replacements use a screw to mount the sight and are less likely to be knocked off than the press fit ones.

I have not had any fall off, but it wouldn't surprise me. That said, in an emergency situation I would not let the lack of a front sight stop me in any way.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
I have not had any fall off, but it wouldn't surprise me. That said, in an emergency situation I would not let the lack of a front sight stop me in any way.
Heh.
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing." Sammy "The Bull" Gravano
"A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie." Lenin, Creator of USSR
"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms" Hitler
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason, Father of the Bill of Rights
"I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honor than that she should in a cowardly manner become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor." Gandhi
The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government." Hubert H Humphrey, VP
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life." John F Kennedy
"Ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the state." Heinrich Himmler, Head of Nazi SS
"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy." George Orwell
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in their government." Jefferson
"The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."Washington
"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Luke 22:36
Old 10-22-2010, 09:38 AM

My first suggestion would be to find a dealer with a nice inventory of SIGs, find yourself a SIG factory front sight and buy it, along with the SIG pistol it's attached to.

Okay, that wasn't helpful, was it? I doubt there's any reason to worry about the rear sights, unless something happened to your pistol which would account for the front sight being "knocked" off. You haven't dropped it off any tall buildings lately, right? But seriously, if your pistol didn't endure some trauma that would explain the missing front sight, it's doubtful your rear sights have been affected.

Brownells would probably be a good choice, or even Midway USA to get a replacement front sight.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 AM

glock plastic sights fall off every day...
they have advertisements on cereal boxes for the lost sights..
it's very sad...
whole families grieve over the lost sights...
others put steel night sights on their guns and avoid such terrible tragedies...
we will keep you in our thoughts....
ok that's long enough..no more thoughts...
as has been stated...go to Brownells site and order some nifty night sights...
might I sugggest truglo tfo sights...
we have them on all of our carry glocks and a couple more besides..

"Greebo turned upon Granny Weatherwax a yellow-eyed stare of self-satisfied malevolence, such as cats always reserve for people who don't like them, and purred. Greebo was possibly the only cat who could snigger in purr"

Greebo the Cat - Terry Pratchett "Witches Abroad"
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 AM
CalCCW Staff Wizard

You could always get some of these:

Old 10-22-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
You could always get some of these:

We all know Ganstas don't aim, they just point.

RK

Ca., Utah, Oregon & AZ. complete.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Founding Member

By the way, this is not a GLOCK only phenomena:

Quote:
Smith & Wesson's Jerry Miculek Wins USPSA Revolver Nationals, Again

Getting to the top of the podium wasn't a walk in the park though, as Miculek battled jetlag after returning from a match in Australia, a bad head cold that turned into an inner ear infection and a fly away front sight.
Shooting Wire
Old 10-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swdr View Post
Heh.
They could just jump off on their own! They don't need to be used to break... do they?

I actually have two that have loose front sights, one from being dropped the other was adopted that way.

I have some spare replacement sights laying around just in case though...
Old 10-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Founding Member

Call Glock see if they will replace. Worth a try.

You do not need the front sight anyway so it's no loss
Old 10-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Senior Founding Member

Great excuse to install night sights, which screw on instead of just get pinned on, and are therefore a lot less likely to fly off when holstering/unholstering.
“Now, I shoot a Glock. Make sure you tell guys that the 1911 is a pain in the ass. If they don’t like messing around with the pistol and spending a grand to really get it tuned, then they should forget it.”
- Larry Vickers
Old 10-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbog44 View Post
My first suggestion would be to find a dealer with a nice inventory of SIGs, find yourself a SIG factory front sight and buy it, along with the SIG pistol it's attached to.

When the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised…to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually.
- George Mason
Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Senior Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbog44 View Post
Not a great solution either.
“Now, I shoot a Glock. Make sure you tell guys that the 1911 is a pain in the ass. If they don’t like messing around with the pistol and spending a grand to really get it tuned, then they should forget it.”
- Larry Vickers
Old 10-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Founding Member

Find a front sight:
1) That is screwed into the slide
2) That has bright night sight qualities.

You don't have to change the rear sights, unless you want to.
The glow of the front sights will make it easier for you to concentrate on the front sights vs the dull rear sights, if you keep the old ones. Lots of people are migrating to a bright front sight with plain rear sights for better contrast.
Might be a blessing in disguise.
Glock is going to screwed on sights on their new guns.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 PM

Not only a glock only problem. My walther p22 sight came up missing a s&w product. I have a trijicon night sight set on my glock 30 screws in and no issues.

U.S. Army Vet
N.R.A. Member

I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.